Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MarcoBackupGuy
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam + Native SQL Restore = Log is too recent to apply?

Post by MarcoBackupGuy »

Sorry for duplicating a post if there is one, I searched on the forum but didn't find the same topic. I also have a veeam support case open (#03474414) but the responses aren't very helpful from what I can tell so I figured I would post here. I have uploaded logs in the support portal and can do the same here if needed.

1. I am trying to get Veeam to backup/restore SQL databases and their transaction logs
2. Native SQL backups are still turned on and my DBA is refusing to turn them off
3. Veeam is latest 9.5 4a & testing with SQL Server 2014 Standard
4. Using the same sql server as the staging sql server, have also tried my workstation with SQL 2016 Express (DB is a GB or less)
5. SQL database is configured with full recovery model
6. Veeam is set up to perform a 'Copy Only' of the logs, as to not break the log chain and screw everything up
7. Native SQL backs up the logs every hour
8. The Veeam backups are working, and when I go through the restore wizard, I see the time range for the transaction logs the Veeam backup job collected
9. I have tried regular incremental and reverse incremental for the vm job (currently still using reverse incremental)
10. If I choose to restore to the latest state, the restore works fine. But that is using the veeam snapshot backup that backs up the whole VM, not utilizing the transaction logs.
11. If I choose to restore to a point in time, it fails. I get a "Error: The log in this backup set begins at LSN 150000000039900001, which is too recent to apply to the database. An earlier log backup that includes LSN 150000000039800001 can be restored." But I have tried every rollback in the chain and also the full that has that same time available, and they all fail with a similar error.
12. Am I misconfiguring something or does Veeam really not work well with native sql backups running?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam + Native SQL Restore = Log is too recent to apply?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm not sure if I understand your configuration as the UI offers me different options than you mention.

Just to clarify: you would like to do point-in-time restore from the VBR GUI but without using Veeam logshipping.

I configured "copy only" (as you mentioned) which hides the Veeam logshipping features and disables point-in-time restore (see user guide)

As mentioned earlier, "point in time" is not available.

Best regards,
Hannes
MarcoBackupGuy
Novice

Post by MarcoBackupGuy »

HannesK,

Yes you are following how I have it set up. But it doesn't actually disable the option of the restore point in time. Once I configure the job and it runs the first full, it doesn't show any restore point in time. But after new transaction logs are saved in SQL and I run the Veeam job again (incr or reverse incr), I do get the restore point in time option and it gives me the slider to adjust what time to restore. I'll put up a screenshot of it to verify.
MarcoBackupGuy
Novice

Post by MarcoBackupGuy »

Well I was going to post the pics, but don't really want to post them online somewhere just to get the URL of it to post here. But either way, it starts out exactly as you present it. But then once the trans logs are backed up and I run a veeam job, it then gives me the restore point in time option and gives me the timeline slider. I move the slider to the middle, click restore, and it gets to 66% on the dismounting restore point, fails, and pops up with an error that says "Failed to restore database. The log in this backup set begins at LSN xxxxxxxxxxxxx, which is too recent to apply to the database. An earlier log backup that includes LSN xxxxxxxxxxxxxx can be restored. RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally."
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Indeed, if Veeam B&R doesn't process logs itself, it can take them from the next restore point (provided they were not truncated) and replay them to any point within the interval between restore points. I'm not sure what went wrong in your case though, looks like native SQL backup somehow affects the logs chain, this is better to be investigated with the help of support.
MarcoBackupGuy
Novice

Post by MarcoBackupGuy »

Foggy

Okay thank you. That's how I thought it was supposed to work. But the support guy on my case did respond back, but he said "Veeam can't perform point-in-time restores unless Veeam is performing the log backups itself in addition to the main backups. If the logs are being backed up through SQL directly, Veeam can only restore the SQL databases from the times and dates of the main backups for the SQL server." From his response, I got the impression that means Veeam cannot restore to a point in time if Native SQL is performing the processing/truncating of logs and Veeam is performing a 'copy only' of such log backups. Which made me second guess if what I'm trying to do will work.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It should work unless logs are truncated by native backup. Job debug logs should tell the reason of the behavior.