Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dpgator333
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Penley

Job stuck at Running/Failed/Cancelling depending on where you look

Post by dpgator333 »

Open case # is 03488002

Issue is that there is a job that is stuck under "Running" jobs, that is also showing a "failed" status. When I check on the statistics for the job, the status shows "Cancelling".

One likely contributor to the issue is that this was ran as a VeeamZip job. We have per-VM licensing, and we decided that it would be more cost-effective to run scripted/scheduled VeeamZip jobs for a few of our smaller VMs that don't hold critical data or are "business facing" production servers. Mostly they're Linux appliances that we use for various IT related tasks like Syslog server, vulnerability scans, automation, that sort of thing. We run daily VeeamZip of these and keep them for a couple of weeks in case anything weird happens we have at least something to fall back on in lieu of a complete rebuild.

As I'm sure many know, these jobs, while not part of the Veeam licensing model, the jobs do integrate into the Veeam B&R console, so we can check job completion status and do restores if we need to from there, which is nice.

This particular VM, I had recently performed a manual snapshot of, prior to doing an application upgrade. I intended to remove it the next day after everything looked fine after the upgrade. I think this caused Veeam to flip out a bit, because the job that night didn't finish, and vCenter was complaining about an existing snapshot and that I needed to "reconcile" the virtual disks. So I tried that, and it didn't work and the VM wouldn't boot at all. I ended up going back two days and restoring so the VM is back, but the first job that failed is still showing up in the console.

I also checked to make sure there are no remaining snapshots, and there are none. The VeeamZip jobs for this VM since have run successfully.

I've already gone into the database to check for jobs with a running status (https://www.veeam.com/kb1727), but only the vCenter jobs show up, not VeeamZip jobs. I am thinking that this job has to be somewhere, but I can't find it in the main Veeam Backup database.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Job stuck at Running/Failed/Cancelling depending on where you look

Post by wishr »

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your post. I went through the case. Nothing to add to the current conversation - please keep working with the support team and let us know if any assistance is required.

BR,
Fedor