Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sosborne
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Simon Osborne

Temporarily move vbk files

Post by sosborne »

I have a storage repository which is pretty much full. However I don't rate my chances of getting a new storage enclosure delivered and configured (knowing how slowly the purchasing process happens at work). So I was wondering if I can simply move at file level a few VBKs for a short period without bothering to do anything at the Veeam configuration/DB level? Obviously those restore points will be inaccessible in Veeam but I am aware of that. And then once the new enclosure is in and I have configured it and set up a SOBR then I can copy the vbks back.

Is it possible to do this? Or is there recommended/other way to do it? Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Temporarily move vbk files

Post by veremin »

Only if they belong to the old part of chain that is being transformed at the moment. Plus, if backup server tries to apply currently specified retention (in case it's reached), it will fail not being able to remove already moved backups. Thanks!
sosborne
Enthusiast

Post by sosborne »

I have a customised retention running on it which consists of 24 restore points that are all active fulls (I have a Veeam Powershell scheduled from task manager to run the job).

There will be no danger of old restore points needing to be deleted by retention as these are effectively monthly backups and there are at least 9 months till it would get to that point.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, you can simply move those backup files somewhere, as they are not dependent anyhow on current backup chain and not be subject to upcoming retention. Thanks!
sosborne
Enthusiast

Post by sosborne »

Many thanks for all your help.