Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcw
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam Backup Free Edition - basic questions

Post by mcw »

Hello,

I have three questions:

1. Is it possible to select a single VM or a group of VMs to backup or are always all VMs backed up in a backup job?
2. Does the free edition allow to perform incremental or differential backups of VMs?
3. Does the free edition allow to backup Linux VMs (RHEL or CentOS) in a consistent state?

Thanks for your help,
Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup Free Edition - basic questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Martin,

1. You can select an individual VM to back up. Here is a bit more info on this > Creating VeeamZIP Files for VMware vSphere VMs
2. Only full backups can be performed with a Free version of Veeam B&R.
3. Yes, that's possible. By default, VeeamZIP job uses VMware Tools Quiescence, but you can also use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts executed by VMware Tools.

Thanks!
mcw
Influencer

Post by mcw »

1. You can select an individual VM to back up. Here is a bit more info on this > Creating VeeamZIP Files for VMware vSphere VMs
Is this also possible for Hyper-V VMs?
3. Yes, that's possible. By default, VeeamZIP job uses VMware Tools Quiescence, but you can also use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts executed by VMware Tools.
Is a consistent VM backup also possible for Hyper-V VMs?

Thanks for your help!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Yes and yes:
<...>In the working area, select the VM(s) and click VeeamZIP <...>
<...>By default, Veeam Backup & Replication uses native Microsoft Hyper-V quiescing mechanisms to create a transactionally consistent image of VMs<...>
Thanks
jack.summers
Influencer
Full Name: Jack Summers

Post by jack.summers »

Adding onto this does the free version of Veeam check incremental backup with the full VBK backup. I dont see an option like others have posted in regards to storage level corruption guard. This is so we can move away from weekly Active full backups and move to a more full incremental backup plan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it does. Storage level corruption guard option can be found in the advanced backup job settings.
jack.summers
Influencer

Post by jack.summers »

I do not see this on my console - Running Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.2.0.589 - Free Edition - Entire Computer (recommended) - backing up to a shared folder - keep backup for 14 days - advance options only show backup and storage tabs? Any ideas? Thank you for the prompt reply.
jack.summers
Influencer

Post by jack.summers »

Does any of the previous options during the backup setup process affect this setting to not appear?
jack.summers
Influencer

Post by jack.summers »

Gostev wrote: Apr 02, 2019 1:20 pm Yes, it does. Storage level corruption guard option can be found in the advanced backup job settings.
I do not see this on my console - Running Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.2.0.589 - Free Edition - Entire Computer (recommended) - backing up to a shared folder - keep backup for 14 days - advance options only show backup and storage tabs? Any ideas? Thank you for the prompt reply.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This thread (and this forum) is about free edition of Veeam Backup & Replication, so all answers are in that context. There's a separate forum for Veeam Agent for Windows.