Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kspare
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kevin Pare

Help with methodology?

Post by kspare »

Here’s the scenario.

We are proposing veeam for a customer with a larger VMware site.

We want to do daily backups to onsite storage.
Do a backup copy to an offsite storage
And backup the onsite repository to tape.

I’m trying to figure out if we are better to use regular incremental backups or reverse incremental? Or something else that I have missed.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Help with methodology?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as far as I understand your situation, it depends on what you want to write to tape. If you need incrementals on tape, then Forward with synthetic / active full is required.

"regular incremental" means with "synthetic full"? the advantage of that would be that a full backup to tape could run longer than 24h as the backup chain stays untouched during backup.

reverse incremental vs. forever forward incremental, well, more or less the same. With RI the full to tape is a little bit faster as no virtual synthetic full needs to be created.

I guess you use ReFS?

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

But reverse incremental itself will require more I/O on your onsite repository than regular forward incremental.
kspare
Enthusiast

Post by kspare »

Jaqen:
We want to write a full backup to tape. We do not want to remove the incremental from the system, or write them to tape.

I think maybe what we were confused on was when we write to tape, does it have to create the synthetic full each weekend? If so that would create massive IO load on the storage vs spreading it out during the week? I think for this customer, we have to run RI, they have 20 vm's and growing, so on backup day the IO load would be massive while trying to get all the backups done?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

you can configure synthetic fulls for every day you like.

with RI you have the same load every day from a backup perspective. Only tape is an additional load on the day of tape backup.
kspare
Enthusiast

Post by kspare »

I guess thats my question. If I don't ever perform a synthetic full, there is nothing for the tape to backup?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I guess you are asking for the missing link to virtual synthetic full backups :-)