Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mainzer54
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank

Problem with 3-2-1 Backup with B&R

Post by Mainzer54 »

Hello,

I'm facing a problem with the classic 3-2-1 Backup. We are using B&R and we need three backups of our VMs. We are keeping one on a Windows Server running Veeam, one backup-copy is on a NAS system within the same office and we need a third one outside the office.

We can only run a 40 MB/sec DSL Line and the problem is that veeam renames every single fullback so that a normal rsync programm can't sync the differences only.

What is the best practice to keep two backups in the office and one over a slow connection offsite.

Thanks for your help.

Frank
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Problem with 3-2-1 Backup with B&R

Post by nielsengelen »

Have you considered using backup copy jobs available in the product? It is possible to use wan accelerators (also built-in) for low bandwidth connection (see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4)
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mainzer54
Novice

Post by Mainzer54 »

Yes, that is what I do. The original Backup goes to a NAS and than a Backup-Copy to the harddisk of the veeam computer. The WAN accelerator is only available in the much more expensive enterprise edition and it works only if there is a computing hardware on the other side.

I want to save it on a NAS which is connected via VPN and a low bandwith connection. It could be quiet easy with rsync but veeam is changing the file name every time and it is impossible for rsync to figure it out. It ends up in full size transmission every night instead of incrementals.

Best Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, are you using reversed incremental backup method?
Mainzer54
Novice

Post by Mainzer54 »

@foggy

I reconfigured it in the meantime and I hope it works better than the previous idea. I've set up two secandary destinations in the main backup job. One copy to the local NAS and one copy to the remote NAS.

Is there any best practice for copy jobs on slow WAN connections apart from the B&R Enterprise Edition which is to expensive for as.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You would need a gateway server for the target repository on the remote side anyway, otherwise traffic will flow uncompressed over WAN.
Mainzer54
Novice

Post by Mainzer54 »

This is exactly my problem with Veeam on this issue. It needs computing resources on the other end or high price NAS hardware to work with. I come to the conclution that we saddled the wrong horse. A big name isn't allways the best solution for KMU.

Thanks for you help
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, back to your rsync question then, if you're using reverse incremental (which changes the full backup file name), you can try the DisableVBKRename registry value.
Mainzer54
Novice

Post by Mainzer54 »

I think that was the srew I was looking for. I will try it over the weekend. Rsync ist quiet fast and the compression is good for slow WAN connections.

Thanks for the tipp