Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
newVguy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Tien

Veeam ONE and Veeam Backup & Replication share a SQL Server DB

Post by newVguy »

Hi,

I am new to Veeam software and we are tasked to setup a Veeam environment for our project. It's recommend to install Veeam ONE before Veeam Backup and Replication. Both of these components are required to connect to the SQL Server database instance. My question is can both of these components share the same SQL Server database instance? Note: We are "NOT" using local SQL server express. What is the best practice of setting this up?

Thanks,

Robert Tien, GD-IT
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam ONE and Veeam Backup & Replication share a SQL Server DB

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Veeam ONE and Veeam can share a database server (mind the requirements though, for Veeam ONE too), however you cannot make them share a database instance.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Robert and welcome to the community!
What's the approximate size of your infrastructure(VM, hosts number)? Depending on that you may need SQL Express or Standard editions which can be installed on same server with Veeam ONE server or separately.
Thanks!
newVguy
Novice

Post by newVguy »

Our infrastructure consists of approximately 400 VMs, 40 hosts and 80 datastores. We are planning to use a remote SQL server Standard or Enterprise Edition. Would you recommend as best practice to create a separate SQL DB instance for the Veeam Backup and Replication component or create a new database in the Veeam One SQL Server DB instance?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Indeed Express edition doesn't fit your infrastructure as it has 10GB limitation. You can calculate the approximate size of data to be kept in database with DB calculator.
I'm not sure I understood your question correctly. But as P.Tide wrote above you need a database for Veeam Backup & Replication and another for Veeam ONE.
newVguy
Novice

Post by newVguy »

We had used the DB calculator before for sizing our db environment and it's a great tool! Yes I understood P. Tide recommendation but I just wanted to clarify where Veeam think would be best practice in a large environment. 1) Create a separate SQL DB instance for each component OR 2) create a database for Veeam Backup & Replication and another database for Veeam ONE in one SQL DB Instance.

I am not SQL DB expert so I don't know what the DB contentions are if we are running two or more databases in one SQL DB instance in a large environment. Sorry I didn't mean to beat this subject to death :).

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

No problem, Robert.
Glad everything is clear now.
400 VM is rather medium than large environment. We suggest using Deployment for Large-Scale Environments guide for customers with more than 1000 VMs. But you may still want to read those best practices.
Thanks!