Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Harald
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harald Husemann

Transferring Endpoint-Backups to SOBR

Post by Harald »

Hello forum,

I've already opened a support case for this, case ID is 03485283. But, maybe someone in the forum has an idea also?
We're running Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4 with three (four) repositories, one of them is FC-based and not involved here. So, we're talking about three repos which are all connected with iSCSI to the Veeam server, and visible in Windows as drives S:, T: and U:.
Drives S: and U: are chained together as one SOBR, while drive T: is a stand-alone repo. The SOBR is used for VMWare backups, while T: is used as target repo for endpoint backups with Linux and Windows Agents.
Now, we'd like to change this a bit: Drive T: should be added to the SOBR, and afterwards, drive S: should be removed from it. The question is, how can we achieve this without loosing the backup chains? My current idea is:

1. Remove the permissions from drive T: to prevent writing of new endpoint backups to this storage
2. Add drive T: to the SOBR
3. Rescan the SOBR
4. Set permissions on the SOBR to make it accessible for Endpont backups
5. Evacuate drive S:
6. Rescan the SOBR
7. Remove drive S: from Windows and disconnect it

What do you think? Is this the correct way to reconfigure the SOBR? I've already read https://www.veeam.com/kb2236, but this one's for VMWare and Hyper-V backups, but not for Endpoint backups...

Thanks and best regards from Germany,

Harald
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Transferring Endpoint-Backups to SOBR

Post by wishr »

Hi Harald,

As our support engineer stated, your plan looks good. If any issues arise - please ask the support team for additional assistance.

Thanks
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald »

Hello Jon,

thanks for your answer, I've just read the reply from support and closed the case since my question is answered, :-). I will work on this in the next days, and post a reply in the forum about the result.

Best regards from Germany,

Harald
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

You are welcome, Harald. Please let us know if any questions arise!
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald » 1 person likes this post

Hello again,

yesterday, I added drive T: to the SOBR, and started the evacuation of drive S:. Since there are some really BIG backups in the SOBR the evacuation is still in progress, but, after reconfiguration of the agents all endpoint backups are running and using the SOBR.
So, again, a very good result, and everything works as expected. Well, it's Veeam - "it just works", :-).

Many thanks to the support and Jon,

best regards from Germany,

Harald
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald »

Hello,

the evacuation is finished, and all backup jobs are running on the new storages. So, I've just removed drive S: from the SOBR.

Many thanks to all, and many thanks to Veeam developers for a very good and reliable piece of software!

Best regards from Germany,

Harald