Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
samuraizer0
Lurker
Liked: never

Virtual Appliance Backup Mode

Post by samuraizer0 »

Hey All

Currently running the community edition (while we quote to buy) as my trial has run out during testing.

Up to date, my testing has been all NBD mode with backup speeds of VMs about 20-30mb/s (compared to agents giving me ~400-500mb's) - but I read recently about Appliance mode speeding up the backup of VMs without the agent.

My setup looks like this:

1 VMWare host locally
3 VMware Hosts collocated
~100 VMs

My backup proxies are currently hosted on VMs (but will move to physical boxes with internal storage soon)

I'd like to make use of this appliance backup mode for speed sake, but doesn't seem to work. According to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... iance.html the proxy needs to be a VM with access to the datastores stores that I am backing up. My proxies have this.

When I change my backup mode to the virtual appliance and run a backup, it still fails over and returns as NBD mode.

Appreciate any ideas!
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Virtual Appliance Backup Mode

Post by veremin »

Any particular warning or errors reported in job session? Hodor!
samuraizer0
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by samuraizer0 »

No errors or warnings - it just doesn't seem to be trying at all.

So Backup Infrastructure > Vmware Backup Proxy (Local backup server, but is also a vmware VM with same datastores) > Properties > Transport Mode set to Virtual Appliance with failover to NBD

Below is an example of a single VM attempt, that has a single disk, stored on a datastore that this proxy has access to (Datastore settings are set to automatic detection - I have not specified them in connected datastores)
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

It's possible the detection used to determine if the proxy is local is failing, causing it to failover to NBD. What if you uncheck the failover to NBD option? Does it used hotadd or completely fail?

Joe