Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stormlight
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JG

Repl/Copy not supported in Virt Appliance mode Instant R

Post by stormlight »

Can someone please verify that this statement is true.

Veeam does not support Veeam replication or Veeam copying of a VM when the copy/replication job mode is set to virtual-appliance mode and the VM that that you are trying to copy/replicate is running of off Veeam Instant Restore.

Example:

Mount VM via Instant recovery. Do no redirect disks. (the vbk that I am mounting had compression turned off in the back up properties)
Try to replicate or the copy the VM with a job using Virtual appliance mode to other storage since you dont want it to run it off your storage repository and do not have vstorage vmotion.
Uncheck the fail over to Network mode since you want this to go through the Vstorage API for speed and to save network traffic.

thanks
Alexey D.

Re: Repl/Copy not supported in Virt Appliance mode Instant R

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello,

The example you've provided should work. The vPower driver implemented in B&R transparently presents backup file as a regular NFS datastore connected to host. Since that Virtual Appliance mode is available and you should not experience failing over to network.

Please remember that all limitations of using HotAdd mode apply, thus that datastore should be mounted to the same host where B&R server resides.
stormlight
Enthusiast

Post by stormlight »

Ok but my job fails every time. To troubleshoot and try to take Veeam itself out of the picture I try to mimic what the Veeam GUI/program is doing with hotadd in my above example.

I edit the Veeam VM and add a existing hard disk. I browse to the VeeamBackup_VeeamVMserver name powerNFS datastore and pick the VM that instant recovery has mounted. I try all independent modes and non-independent. After I hit ok it times out and pretty much gives me the same error as when the Veeam GUI does it.

Most of the time it is a connection time out error.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Where is your NFS datastore located? What is the overall performance for this datastore? Basically, it should work unless you face some performance issues with NFS datastore.
stormlight
Enthusiast

Post by stormlight »

If your referring to the datastore where the VBK is being mounted with Instant Restore:

I have tried to backup and use a CIfs windows share on a powerful server with no activity, a DataDomain CIfs share, and a DataDomain NFS share to host the VBK that I the vbk was backed up to.

If you are referring to where the Veeam Power NFS is:

It sitting inside the Veeam VM itself which resides on a Dell Equallogic SAN with only 10% usage all around. Since this is in a VM and I do not choose to redirect the disk when bringing it up in instant restore (since then you cant shut down and replicate or copy) Its located to where the default location in the windows file system when you install Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I was referring to storage where vPower NFS datastore is located.

As a further step of troubleshooting you may want to look at vPower NFS Recommendations topic and this one - surebackup "vmware tools did not start in a timely manner" (nevermind the title).
stormlight
Enthusiast

Post by stormlight »

Im not sure this is a performance issue. Tried two different ESX host and tried on our DR site in which there is 0 activity on the ESX host or storage. I also installed Vsphere with a Demo lic and tried vstorage vmotion. The vstorage vmotion works fine with instant recovery.

How do you enable vPower NFS server logging
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please contact our support team for the required instructions.