Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Move backup copies

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

Is it possible to move backup copy files from one Scale-out repository extent to another extent within the same Scale-out repository? All the "moving backup files" guides that I have read talks about creating a new repository to which the files shall be moved. I.E., I want to move backup copy files from one repository to another EXISTING repository within the same Scale-out. If that is possible, can I get a step-by-step guide here in the thread?

Sincerely,
Per Jonsson
Sweden
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Move backup copies

Post by veremin »

Put extent into maintenance mode, then, evacuate backups. More information can be found here. Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

So there is no way to move backup files from one extent to another within a scale-out without evacuating ALL of the backup files from the "source" extent? It's all or nothing?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In this case you can move required files manually from one extent to the other and, then, re-scan SOBR. Thanks.!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay. If a backup copy job that is copying backups of several servers has placed some files on extent #1, and the rest on extent #2, what about the .vbm file? Is the .vbm file identical in both places, so I can just move all files from the job's folder on extent #1 to the job's folder on extent #2, and then re-scan the SOBR?
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

I tried to move all the files from the job's folder on extent #1 to the job's folder on extent #2, and did a re-scan of the SOBR. Didn't work. The job failed because it couldn't find the files I had moved. So I moved them back, and restarted the job, and then it succeeded.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Before I moved the files back, I thought that maybe I need to "Map backup" in the job, but when I tried, it said that I was trying to use the same place as another job, and the "other" job was the same job... So I didn't dare to try.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You should be OK with manually moving backup files from one extent to the other.

So, if that doesn't work the way we've described, then, contact our support team for further investigation.

Thanks!