Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AKcongo
Novice
Liked: never

Selecting objects to backup when creating VMWare backup jobs

Post by AKcongo »

Hi All,

I'm fairly new with Veeam but have been backing up VMWare for a few months now. I'm wondering what experience has taught people about which objects to add to be backed up in a VMWare job. We have 4-host clusters. In order to catch new VMs as they are created I have added a whole cluster to be backed up in one job. The job catches everything but it takes so long I have to pray that the job doesn't fail and have to be rerun.

With another cluster I have created 4 jobs and assigned one per host. This one also catches everything but it's inefficient as each time a VM moves between hosts it runs a full and starts a new chain. Not ideal.

So, cluster, hosts, individual VMs? What have you found that's the best balance?

Are VM tags and assigning jobs per the tags the answer? We may investigate going down that road.

Thanks!
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Selecting objects to backup when creating VMWare backup jobs

Post by csydas »

Tags have been pretty no fuss for us, except for getting through the requirements for Tags from the UG. A few headaches there (our vcenter cert didn't have the FQDN), but after fixing that, it was relatively straight forward.
AKcongo
Novice
Liked: never

Post by AKcongo »

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can use any vSphere containers as well.