Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Surebackup and storage.

Post by staun »

I am now starting to look into Surebackup to check my backup-jobs and I may be doing it wrong as my job stops during the process. I have an idea why as my storage I use for Surebackup is only 2 TB and my backupjob needs quite a lot more storage as there are about 100 VM to check.

What I have noticed is that when a VM has been started, checked for heartbeat and ping it keeps running until the entire Surebackup is done - In my theory it should shut down and be removed after checks, but I can also see why it should be running in case there are dependencies on other VMs. But is there a method to have it check 3-5 VM, shut them down and continue the Surebackup process instead of creating a 20 TB storage disk for just SureBackup labs.
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Re: Surebackup and storage.

Post by staun »

I found out that if I use a linked job instead of an ApplicationGroup it processes a few VM at a time and not starting all VM's up before deleting them again.. Tried to read a bit up on the difference on those types and concluded that you use ApplicationGroup if you have dependencies in a sureBackup scenario. :-)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Surebackup and storage.

Post by foggy »

That's correct. You can specify the maximum number of VMs that can be started at the same time as well.