Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
snappah
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Roberts

Remote Backup is slow

Post by snappah »

I'm trying to set up a backup job over a 20mbit WAN connection. The initial full backup will take some time, but I believe that I can get the incrementals done each night in about 6 hours, so my main problem is the initial full backup. It's taking way too long at 1MB/sec. I'm backing up 50gb with about 1.5-2gb of changed data each day.

Can I manually copy the files of a local backup job, and then do reverse incrementals remotely on top of the copied full backup?

I get 3.5MB/sec copying with windows file copy or FTP, so I'm hoping to take a short cut in avoiding doing an initial full backup in Veeam.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Remote Backup is slow

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Peter,
snappah wrote:Can I manually copy the files of a local backup job, and then do reverse incrementals remotely on top of the copied full backup?
Yes you can. But in order to do that properly, you should choose any local folder on your backup server, perform a backup job, then move all the files to the remote site and then change destination target for the existing backup job. Should work.

By the way what is your destination target on the remote site?

Thank you.
st0623
Technology Partner
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Thompson

Re: Remote Backup is slow

Post by st0623 »

Peter,
I'm with the HyperIP team over at NetEx and wanted to ask if you had looked at HyperIP to accelerate your replication. 50GB over a 20Mbs WAN link should take only ~6.5 hours for the initial seed of data and 2GB should only take around 15-20 minutes over the same link with HyperIP. You can download HyperIP's virtual appliance at netex.com and request an eval and use HyperIP free for 30 days. Rate limit the app, by time of day, and make those windows you are talking about. With the eval keys, you can do the first seed, then determine if you need HyperIP for the incrementals or not. Reach out to me at steve.thompson@netex.com if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Steve Thompson
HyperIP team at NetEx Software
steve.thompson@netex.com