Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

VMware Cloud on AWS, info needed

Post by lando_uk »

We are looking into this solution.

Traditionally with vSphere, Veeam tell people to hold off upgrading to the latest esxi/vcenter version until its been through QA etc. With VMC, I understand they (Vmware/AWS) automatically update all components in the solution on a regular basis and as user you shouldn't care. What happens if they update their stack and it causes issues with Veeam - its not as if we can downgrade it. Could we be left with nonworking backups until Veeam patch and sort out their end?

I'd also like to hear any real world stories of people using VMC/Veeam and how its working for them.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: VMware Cloud on AWS, info needed

Post by Gostev »

lando_uk wrote: Apr 12, 2019 11:17 amWhat happens if they update their stack and it causes issues with Veeam - its not as if we can downgrade it. Could we be left with nonworking backups until Veeam patch and sort out their end?
In theory yes, but when we discussed this with VMC folks, they have sworn they will not ever make breaking changes :D
It was based on this promise that we removed hard API version restriction for VMC from our product.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Mark,

Veeam is getting early access to any new version that they roll out and certify against this version. If something break we work with VMware on a solution and VMware of we fix it on one or the other side. If our customers have to add a patch to B&R will be stated within our https://www.veeam.com/kb2414

VMware told us that they inform their customer 4 days in advance before the update by mail. You should check at this time our KB if there is an update available. As Anton said this should not be the case as VMware has the intention to stay compatible on the API side.

It is suggested to use Veeam Instance Licensing when you use VMware Cloud on AWS. The reason for this is that at any update VMware destroys and recreate the ESXi hosts which means our Socket licensing need to be revoked (if you use it). With Instance licensing, the license is bound to the VM and there is no manual task needed.

Since our first supported VMware Cloud on AWS Version (SDDC1.2) Veeam and our customers were any version day 0 ready for the update.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Thanks Gostev

Do they give access to pre-released code for you to test before rolling out to the customers?

Do you see this is a growing platform for you to support in the future, i cant find many people who use it, but they tell me that its very popular...
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Mark, I updated my post with additional details. Please load the page again in your browser.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Good info, thanks. 4 days isn't much notice for potentially major changes. Do you have any figures of how many times they have destroyed and created new version hosts in the last 6 months for example? Looking at the VMware SDDC change log, it doesn't tell you about hypervisor specific changes. It's so difficult to pilot this solution, as the on-demand host charges are massive.

We do have socket licensing. I guess the moment they update, our license would be exceeded and the backups would fail until we manually removed the old hosts yes?

Do you have any idea how many of your customers are on this platform, or can you give any numbers for the support tickets (is it as stable, hassle free as they tell you?)

cheers
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Mark,

we do not track VMware Cloud on AWS. For us it is just another VMware system.

They update customers automatically every quarter (they have usually 4 releases per year).
Sometimes they have one Update in between, but I do not know if they roll these out automatically.
The idea is really like at any other public cloud, you should not experience and issues with it, and it just works.

Regarding the license, if you have additionally free host sockets, you will not see failed jobs. If they recreate the hosts we will potentially detect them as new and you have to revoke the license if there is no free license available for the sockets.