Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

New Venter and Veeam with Pure, difficulty with storage integration snapshot

Post by davidb1234 »

I have migrated to a new Dell MX7000 server cluster. New physical backup veeam server as well.

When I try to backup from our PURE Storage array storage snapshots won't work for backups.
4/12/2019 1:35:25 PM :: Failed to prepare VM for processing from storage snapshot, failing over to backup from VM snapshot

I've installed the plugin on the veeam server and connected the Pure array to vcenter and still no luck. I feel like I am missing something. I have tried to use both the physical veeam server which has 40GB network connection as well as a HOTADD VM for proxy and still no luck backing up from integrated storage snapshot. Can someone suggest what to look for?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: New Venter and Veeam with Pure, difficulty with storage integration snapshot

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please include support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New Venter and Veeam with Pure, difficulty with storage integration snapshot

Post by foggy »

Hi David, please also make sure you've configured everything according to the user guide.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

I think I meet all these requirements and have done them all. Does a Virtual Proxy with hotadd work? Or does it need to be a physical proxy with direct SAN access?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

You need the following:
FC:
- Physical Server with FC HBAs
- FC Zoning that the server sees the storage.
- Add a host entry for the server within Pure.

For iSCSI
- You need to be able to work with the iSCSI Target storage interfaces over the network (VM/phyiscal server both works).

We try to use first iSCSI, before we use FC.
popjls
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by popjls » 1 person likes this post

Works fine here. Running Purity 5.1.6 with iscsi on a virtual backup server acting as the proxy too. Have you followed Pure's Veeam setup guide?