Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davegold
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Gold

Virtual Lab Manager cross-domain rights?

Post by davegold »

Hi,

How does the Virtual Lab Manager application authenticate to the Enterprise Manager?

My Veeam Backup Server is in a workgroup, and my AD server is in a domain. I installed the Lab Manager application on my AD server, specified the IP number of my EMC manager, and pressed the "Test Connection" button, and it fails with the message "The server has rejected the client credentials. The login attempt failed".

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Virtual Lab Manager cross-domain rights?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dave,

Virtual Lab Manager tries to authenticate to EM with an account used to launch AIR wizard. Sounds like you need to join Veeam backup server to the domain to make it work.

Thanks.
davegold
Enthusiast

Post by davegold »

Agreed. I'm wondering what the official requirements here are, I didn't see them in the docs, and want to make sure I explain it to our design folks correctly.

I did get it to work by using an identical named account (same password)--windows failed over to NTLM authentication, which basically means it ignored the domain vs. workgroup issue.

But it seems to me that officially, you have to use a user in the same domain, and if you have multiple domains have to set up domain trusts.

(Implication of this is that if you have multiple domains, you may need to have multiple Veeam Backup servers, one per domain. Not a hard and fast rule, but an implication)

Thanks Vitaliy!

Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you're correct. This piece of information is missing from the documentation, but in order to make it work you need to use domain account on both ends or configure trust relationship between domains.
davegold
Enthusiast

Post by davegold »

Thanks so much for the followup Vitaliy!

Dave
kaithost
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kai Thost

Enterprise Manager - Authentication from outside the domain

Post by kaithost »

[merged]

hi,

i need to get the virtual lab manager running from a system outside of the (AD) domain of the
system on which the enterprise manager is installed on. any connect showed that the authentication
was not successful. since i can't configure the user account within the lab manager gui i am
guessing the ad/SMB athentication is passed through.
successfully connecting a file share to the enterprise manager didn't help either.

forum search leads to 404, so i am asking directly ...

how do i connect the vlab manager to a enterprise manager cross domain?
trust relations between the domains is no option.

best regards
kt
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I got it working outside the domain. see http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8397