Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Historical question about virtualization

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Greetings,

I have a lot of experience with Veeam but only over the past five years when I started working with it every business day of my life!

A question was raised recently if Veeam has ever had the ability to virtualize (Instant VM recovery or other) without a VMware host?

(Obviously, if Veeam is running on a Hyper-V host, it can virtualize from backups to itself.)

My understanding and experience with Veeam leads me to believe there was never a time in Veeam's life when it could virtualize from backups without a host, but I am interested to know what someone from Veeam would say. If there was a time, I would like to know when this changed.

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Historical question about virtualization

Post by Andreas Neufert »

For a VMware VM you need a VMware ESXi/ESX host to Instant VM Restore a VM
For Hyper VM you need a Hyper-V host to do Instant VM Recovery
There is an option to do Instant VM Recovery from an Agent to a Hyper-V host.

In case of standard VM restore you have the same option but can for example "Direct Restore to Azure" or Direct Restore to AWS".

There was never a way to run a VM just by itself on the backup server if there was no virtualization host.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

I would say the correct answer to this question is YES: specifically, the feature of instant recovery of any image-level backup as a Hyper-V VM, which was primarily designed to enable users to instantly restore agent-based physical server or workstation backups.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Maybe I should have rephrased my question. Has there ever been a time that Veeam could "power on" a VM directly from backups without a hypervisor (or AWS or Azure cloud)? Specifically, has Veeam ever been able to "power on" a VM directly from backups on internal disks or NAS, assuming Simple Deployment Model and protection of one host which is unavailable?
subglo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Aldis Kesans

Post by subglo » 1 person likes this post

You basically You are asking if it is possible to power on VIRTUAL machine without virtualization host :D ?

It's the same if You asked if it's possible to eat sandwich if You don't have one. :D

Instant VM Recovery uses patented vPower® technology to power on and mount a VM image to a production VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V host directly from a compressed and deduplicated backup file.
Best regards,

IT system administrator
Veeam Certified Engineer
SP provider
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Yeah, I know that. Like I said, this question isn't for my understanding. :D I already know Veeam intimately having worked on our clients' Veeam deployments and designed and implemented many small to enterprise deployments myself over the past five years. I just wanted to make sure there was never, at any time, ever a feature that had any relationship at all to "powering on" (aka virtualizing) from backups without a hypervisor. I think I can conclude that is the consensus of the responses on this thread. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No, such feature has never existed. Thanks!