Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
matt.burnette
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Burnette

5TB size limit on S3

Post by matt.burnette »

I am looking to place some large backups into S3 using the new integration.
We have several large file servers with several volumes as large as 16TBs each.
A full for one of these servers is about 56TBs.

I know S3 has a 5TB limit per object and I was wondering if anyone has ran into a problem putting large backups like these into S3.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: 5TB size limit on S3

Post by veremin »

Our object storage integration doesn't move backup files as a whole to object storage, instead it operates on backup file blocks level and offloads individual blocks. More information can be found here

The default backup file block size is 1MB, and typical compression ratio is 2:1, so average S3 block size with Veeam is 512KB - well below 5TB limit :wink:

Thanks!
matt.burnette
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Burnette

Post by matt.burnette »

Thanks Vladimir!

I posted here since I got different answers from support and sales engineers.

The servers we are wanting to offsite belong to our client who is a law firm.
They would like to keep the data for 'forever'.
We have a few fears about the architecture of using S3 as the offsite storage location.

Are there any fears for the chain to ever go corrupt by using S3 with this much data in a 'forever' capacity?
Is there a way to determine how long it would take to get this data into S3 other than guessing?
Would the SOBR Offload Job be paused if the Backup job was ran? (This would increase the time for the data to get offsite)
Is there any best practice for how the jobs should be setup? (WAN/LAN/LOCAL/16TB+, compression, each server in thier own job/combine all servers, don't enable compact fulls, etc)

In addition, we also only want to to 'offsite' certain drives on these servers and not the OS drives.
To us, it appears we will have to create a dedicated SOBR for just those drives/jobs, then add S3 storage to that SOBR.
Is there any other tricks where we might be able to select or exclude what goes to S3 without having to make a new SOBR.

As a note, these are only 6-7 servers with around 100 TBs of data total potentially being copied to S3.
This is a lot of data for us, and we just want to get it offsite as fast and efficiently as possible without waiting months for it to finish, or find we messed up and need to redo it somehow.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

matt.burnette wrote: Apr 16, 2019 8:29 pmwe just want to get it offsite as fast and efficiently as possible without waiting months for it to finish
In that case, I highly recommend you consider tape. "100TB forever" is one of the few use cases that tape is perfect for, and it will be by an order of magnitude cheaper and faster solution comparing to S3.
onthax
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Object Storage for Big VMs

Post by onthax »

Looks at object storage, but we have a few big VMs, (Backup files are 20TB+)

looking at s3 compatible options having file size limits of 5TB or 10TB, how are people getting around this limits?
Or do they just not put their big VMs on capacity tier?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Object Storage for Big VMs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
they are getting around this by using Veeam :-)

There is no issue with Veeam because the backup format for object storage is completely different than for local backups. You will see tons of small backup files instead of one big backup file in object storage.

Best regards,
Hannes
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Actually you will see tons of small objects. Not tons of small backup files :-)

Joe
onthax
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by onthax »

Cheers, that makes sense,

just wanted to confirm :)