Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sauvel
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: laurent sauve

Quick user review with some advice thrown in

Post by sauvel » 1 person likes this post

Hi Everyone,
I just did a full system backup and bare metal restore on a laptop after upgrading the SSD to a bigger size disk, from 128 to 512 Gb.
I used VEEAM agent for windows version 3 and I thought that I could share my impressions on the product. So here goes...
Installation was straightforward, about 20 minutes all told to install, make a recovery media and a system backup. No hitches, no glitches, very smooth.
For the restore part, the question of weather or not inject drivers did generate some dread. In the past, injecting drivers had failed. However, the list of detected/available drivers was very accurate letting me think that perhaps it had been improved. So I took the plunge and injected the drivers during the restore operation. Good choice, it worked very smoothly and after a reboot the system looked exactly the same except with the new bigger disk. Restore was also quick, 10 min did it.
The only further operation I had to do was resize the partitions to make use of the extra space, I did it using a 3rd party tool since the windows 10 disk manager was insufficient for the task. That also worked out well.
In short, I was impressed with the ease of use and the accuracy. It has been improved from earlier versions, takes advantage of newer hardware and works quickly and well. Also notable, windows 10 pro activation was untouched by the process.
Thanks for allowing free personal usage of this product. I really recommend it.
System used: Dell Latitude E7440, windows 10 pro 16 bit, 128 Hynix SSD to 512 Gb Samsung EVO SSD.
Needed tools: A good USB3 key (had 32Gb) to build the recovery media and a good USB drive for the image (had 1TB Passport).
Laurent.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Quick user review with some advice thrown in

Post by nielsengelen »

Thanks for sharing. Always happy to read stories like this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen