Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

SureBackup Reports: Enhancement - display the VM backup date used

Post by stuartmacgreen »

The only identification I can find of the date of the VM backup a SureBackup Job is using is in the SureBackup statistics dialog and log for the specific VM being validated/tested.
Displayed as the row..

Backup: created at mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM, type

Let me explain the scenario/problem I just came across and why this could be better exposed.

We are in a project phase migrating applications to new VM Guest OS. eg Windows Server 2008 to Windows 2016
However, for consistency we are keeping the same VM name, for monitoring purposes etc

BARNEY (Windows Server 2008) is in a backup job and also a surebackup job
NEW_BARNEY (Windows Server 2016) is sitting in the wings for the application to be migrated.
On the day of cutover VM BARNEY is renamed to OLD_BARNEY
NEW_BARNEY is renamed to BARNEY
Weeks later OLD_BARNEY is deleted from vSphere.

In our Veeam environment our backup jobs are performed on VM's by Folder in vSphere. So moving the old BARNEY out and new BARNEY into the folder we did retain 2 BARNEY VM backups on Disk. The old BARNEY backup was kept on disk for a several months.

And this is all done without any requirement / intervention from the backup administrator. Only the VM administrator needs to do this knowing that put in that folder and it will get backed up.!

4 months after the migration go-live event I come across the fact that SureBackup is performing its job on old VM backup of BARNEY and not the new one.!! It's a GOTCHA, I understand. But could be better exposed perhaps.?

Is there any better way to work within the realms of how I have this setup. Recommendations welcome.

Learnings
1. Should have deleted the old BARNEY VM backups on Disk earlier than this. As when I attempt the 'Delete from disk' it prompts that it is being used in SureBackup job.! :idea:
2. Using the same VM name as previous in the same backup job is not perhaps ideal and gives false sense.
3. Better use of Maintenance/Remove deleted data items from disk after X days. Would this option actually delete ALL of old BARNEY from on disk in Veeam, I'm not sure.

Veeam Improvements/Enhancements
When you right click Report against a SureBackup job - it would be nice if the report under Virtual Machine Status showed a column for each VM which backup date that was just used in the SureBackup job.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SureBackup Reports: Enhancement - display the VM backup date used

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you use app.groups or linked job as a source of your SB jobs?
BARNEY (Windows Server 2008) is in a backup job and also a surebackup job
NEW_BARNEY (Windows Server 2016) is sitting in the wings for the application to be migrated.
On the day of cutover VM BARNEY is renamed to OLD_BARNEY
NEW_BARNEY is renamed to BARNEY
Weeks later OLD_BARNEY is deleted from vSphere.
Please clarify at which point does old VM (OLD_BARNEY) gets removed from the vSphere folder?

As to your other questions:
Would this option actually delete ALL of old BARNEY from on disk in Veeam, I'm not sure.
That depends on what type of chain you have. For forever-froward chains it marks blocks (not filesystem blocks, but backup blocks) inside backup files as 'free'. Those blocks will go away only if transform or compact operation occurs. If you have periodic fulls enabled, those blocks won't go away until the corresponding backups files are deleted by retention. See more here.

Thanks!