Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

BBP: Setting up a 2nd Veeam Server

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I just have a question of how to achieve what I am trying to do. I have one veeam backup server, which has a total of 10 jobs. The total of VM's is 76. If I sum all calculated virtual machines size per the function when you edit a backup job, I get 3.67TB. some of my jobs are set to run every 6 hrs, others once a day, and one every 3 hrs. So far everything works fine. I've experienced backup speed and snap shot issue but the veeam support is helping to resolve it.

We have two clusters, where the Veeam backup server is located on the cluster where the maturity of VM's are located. That particular cluster has 4 hosts, where the other has 6 hosts.

My first question is this. We are thinking about a form of load balancing and setup another Veeam back up server, which is currently in the same cluster where the existing one is. I'm not sure if this makes sense to have both under the same cluster. Would it make more sense to have one Veeam backup server in one cluster and the other under the other cluster?

Next, Veeam is a good product and I don't thing that we are pushing veeam to it's limit with our VM and Data amount. or do we?

on the other thought I was wondering if I can have a 2nd. Veeam backup server setup with the identical backup jobs but disabled them, so in case the first veeam back up server goes down that the other can jump in. If this is a good option, is there anything like a catalog that i have to move over then?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: BBP: Setting up a 2nd Veeam Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

flavor4real wrote:My first question is this. We are thinking about a form of load balancing and setup another Veeam back up server, which is currently in the same cluster where the existing one is. I'm not sure if this makes sense to have both under the same cluster. Would it make more sense to have one Veeam backup server in one cluster and the other under the other cluster?
As far as load balancing is concerned I would recommend placing the second backup server to a less loaded cluster.
flavor4real wrote:Next, Veeam is a good product and I don't thing that we are pushing veeam to it's limit with our VM and Data amount. or do we?
No you don't, but please have a look at this topic, should be helpful - Scaling veeam
flavor4real wrote:on the other thought I was wondering if I can have a 2nd. Veeam backup server setup with the identical backup jobs but disabled them, so in case the first veeam back up server goes down that the other can jump in. If this is a good option, is there anything like a catalog that i have to move over then?
If you're planning to deploy a secondary backup server, then definitely go with a clean install, otherwise you won't be able to manage two identical backup instances with a single Enterprise Manager.

As regards the identical job setup for both servers, I'm not sure it is a good idea. It might be better to create a cross backup job from each backup console to protect these servers.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

thanks for the respond.

I heard that the server that host the veeam back application should be ind the cluster where the majority of VM's (the ones we backup) reside. It is in concern to get the best performance. So, it would sense to have a another server hosting the Veeam Backup application on the other cluster and have the jobs according to the VM's of each cluster associated with the Veeam Backup Apps.

----------------------------------------------
Cluster 1
Veeam Backup
> Backup Jobs VM list are all on cluster 1
Cluster 2
Veeam Backup
> Backup Jobs VM list are all on cluster 2

Of course I can manage over the Veeam Enterprise Manager.

Another question I have is the issue with snapshots that might hang on the VM's. would this setup decrease the snapshot issue?
I would like to add that the VM that host the Veeam Backup Application has 4 CPU's and 8GB Ram associated. I believe that should be right in the recommended middle, correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

flavor4real wrote:Another question I have is the issue with snapshots that might hang on the VM's. would this setup decrease the snapshot issue?
Veeam Backup server location does not have any effect on the "remove snapshot" issue. If you have any orphaned snapshots on the VMs, it's better to ask VMware team for assistance.
flavor4real wrote:I would like to add that the VM that host the Veeam Backup Application has 4 CPU's and 8GB Ram associated. I believe that should be right in the recommended middle, correct?
Yes, that's correct, however you may want to reduce the memory amount as it is not used so heavily as CPU resources.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I have a additional Question.

Cluster 1
Veeam Backup
> Backup Jobs VM list are all on cluster 1
> has three 2TB RDM's where the backup jobs are put on.
Cluster 2
Veeam Backup
> Backup Jobs VM list are all on cluster 2
> ?

Is it possible or is it BBP to put the backups of cluster2/Veeam2 on the RDM's on Cluster1/Veeam1? or is it a better practice to give Cluster2/ Veeam2 it's own data store? I also plan to cross backup the Veeam1 and 2 to each other.

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

flavor4real wrote:Is it possible or is it BBP to put the backups of cluster2/Veeam2 on the RDM's on Cluster1/Veeam1? or is it a better practice to give Cluster2/ Veeam2 it's own data store? I also plan to cross backup the Veeam1 and 2 to each other.
Yes, that is possible. Just make sure that you do not have a situation when multiple backup jobs are writing data to the same disk concurrently, as this might the reason for low performance on the storage.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

Very Interesting. I believe this would be the case in our scenario. So, we have to go with separate data stores which should be not a problem. Thanks for your help!