Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Is it possible to "export" a VM from Veeam backup?

Post by Mgamerz »

I have a group in a remote office that needs data off a VM that will become inaccessible somewhat soon due to some new policy from higher up the chain. We are trying to find ways for them to continue to access it.

I have the following Veeam setup:
- Onsite repository
- VM that user would need is in production on-site at my location
- Backup copies run every night to the remote location that the user who needs the VM would be at
- We are using Veeam Essentials and are at our 6 socket limit

The other office that I push backups to does not use Veeam. I am thinking in order to leverage my current backup over there it would require more licensing (which is a lot of $$$$ at this stage right now). Since I would not be using Veeam to back up the VM once I hand it over to that office I am not sure if this would be possible. I know Hyper-V has an "export" feature which essentially is a VM with the metadata. Does Veeam have anything like this? I have the backup there, so there wouldn't need to be any data transfer. I am not sure if this is something that is possible though without additional licensing, even though I'm not going to back up the VM I hand them. I just use their office as a offsite repo, but they have a user there that needs a copy of a VM that will become inaccessible to them soon.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Is it possible to "export" a VM from Veeam backup?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Mgamerz,

If the backup is there, in a VBK format, you have everything you need. We are pretty proud (as Anton also wrote this week in his digest) about our portable format. In essence, in the backup, it contains the VHD(X)s and VMCX file which is what you need to import it onto an Hyper-V environment. There are a few ways of getting that data out of the VBK file:

1. Install the communicty edition, import the backup and do a traditional recovery
2. Use our extract utility (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4)

Hope it helps
Mike