Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tcpeckman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Troy Peckman

Litigation Hold Backups/Restores

Post by tcpeckman »

We are currently demo-ing VBOv3 for our environment and I was testing the recovery of litigation hold items. We have a 365 day litigation hold established on our mailboxes. I have a backup repository setup with "Snapshot-based retention". After successfully backing up the mailboxes I tried to perform a recovery using the Veeam Explorer for Exchange. When browsing down to the 'mailbox->Litigation Hold Items' I only see a small percentage of what should be there (574 items vs. 67k items via the ECP eDiscovery tool). Am I doing something wrong or not understanding where these messages are actually being stored.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Litigation Hold Backups/Restores

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Troy,

The 547 items that you are looking at, is that what you see looking in 1 mailbox?

Cheers
Mike
tcpeckman
Novice

Post by tcpeckman »

Hi Mike,

Yes, my mailbox. I know for a fact that I have received/deleted way more than that in a year (especially mail that came inbound from the Internet). I know that when using the eDiscovery tool from the ECP it will pick up all items but I even just limited it to email. Maybe I am just confused after reading the Microsoft docs on how litigation hold(ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office ... -hold-work) but since the Veeam Explorer shows a "Litigation Hold Items" folder I would think that would contain all of those items.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

The eDiscovery tool will pick-up everything I believe, not only litigation hold items.
Normally, the number in the litigation hold items folder (which is hidden through Outlook) should be correct.
Just to be on the safe side, I would like to investigate this. I personally think that the 547 items (which are purged deleted items for 1 year) will be correct. Although it really looks like a small number.

So please create a support call so this can be looked at. Post the case ID and let us know the outcome.

PS: We are talking about litigation hold right? Not in-place hold?
tcpeckman
Novice

Post by tcpeckman »

Hi Mike,
Yes, this is litigation hold (set for 365 days). Case #03520430