Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adelino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Al De

Azure Data Box Gateway/Edge and Veeam?

Post by adelino »

Is anyone utilizing Azure Data Box Gateway/Edge appliances and Veeam to get their backups into Azure? Curious if the Data Box would be created as a data repository in Veeam and we would back our data up nightly.

Our goal is to use the Azure Data Box like a tertiary backup copy in case of disaster recovery. The Azure Data Box use cases say it can be used for Archive Tier, but we were thinking more cold tier with nightly backups.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/servi ... abox/edge/

Saw this Veeam KB article as well but it did not answer my question: https://www.veeam.com/kb2891
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Azure Data Box Gateway/Edge and Veeam?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Adelino,

The KB article from Veeam talks about the DataBox that you get into your environment, dump data on, and ship it to an Azure datacenter for data import. (Offline data transfer) That is supported.

For the Gateway/ Edge appliances, I don't believe they have gone through our full testing. I will ask around for the status but I also believe that the Edge is only available in some limited areas at this moment.

PS: I can't think of any issues as long as there are the right job parameters and settings. The only thing that frightens me is that you will need to get data from Azure from time to time (which isn't in the cache anymore) which could lead to heavy egress costs...
adelino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Al De

Post by adelino »

Thanks for the response Mike :)

If we configure the Azure Data Box Gateway to use Cold blob storage, wouldnt the egress costs for a restore be roughly the same as if we were restoring from an Scale-Out Backup Repository on Capacity Tier Azure Blob cold storage?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 2 people like this post

Hey Adelino,

I received a response.

Officially this is not tested/ supported, but our alliances team has worked on it, and they tell me it is working but it is not such a good solution for Veeam. The solution works files based, not block based, which means each time a VBK has been changed, the actual file is changed, and everything needs to get uploaded again. So at this moment, considering the downside, I would not advise to use it to be honest