Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dylan0108
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: dylan wu

.ldf and .mdf log files size not reducing

Post by dylan0108 »

Hi,
I've logged a support case in Veeam however it's been 2 days now and there's not even a single response :oops: :oops: :oops:
We've a backup job running daily on an SQL server and lately I've noticed it keeps getting out of space. I've already turned on the options for log truncation and
even when the job finishes running, i can see the Log Truncation process succeeded, however when i checked the .ldf and .mdf log files, the log file size stayed
the same. Shouldn't the file size be reduced?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: .ldf and .mdf log files size not reducing

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
this should not happen... could you please tell us the case number? You also have the chance to escalate on your own by clicking on "talk to manager".

Best regards,
Hannes
fga
Influencer
Liked: 23 times

Re: .ldf and .mdf log files size not reducing

Post by fga »

MSSQL does not automatically shrink MDF and LDF files. Instead it just markes it free internally.
You can see this behaviour by rightclicking on your database, select tasks shrink > files.
In the window that pops up select file type "Log"
About half way down you can see the filesizes. Upper is the current allocated space aka the filesize on disk. The lower one tells you how much of that file is actually used by mssql.
Infos about that can be read up here: https://theitbros.com/truncate-sql-serv ... tion-logs/