Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Andrei
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrei Gologan

[MERGED] Re: When will BTRFS be supported?

Post by Andrei »

Hallo,

what does soon mean? This year, next year, later?

Thank you!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: When will BTRFS be supported?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
This year, next year, later?
That's sort of a tricky question to ask, given that less than two weeks left until the end of 2019 : )
The functionality is undergoing the final testing, and we plan to ship RTM code this year.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

New VAL v3.0 with support for BTRFS is available effective today.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Gomez wrote: Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm I'm pleased to see full support for BTRFS is coming along.

In the current form, wouldn't VAL support simple file backups files that reside on BTRFS volumes?
In my case I was looking to backup up /etc /root which are on BTRFS, and store them on local rotating USB drives.
I would have thought that as native linux commands such as cp, dd, tar can copy from btrfs, than maybe VAL may do so as well.

My logic is that I am not seeking BMR, or volume or server image backups that may require some deep OS integration - just file backups but utilising the block level diff capabilities.

Similarly some of our servers have NSS volumes, and I wanted backup these files also.
While this is an older thread, I wanted to note two key things with the VAL 3.0. Besides Btrfs support, there is also a new snapshot-less mode for file-level backups. This allows you to backup any currently mounted filesystem without needing specific fs support within VAL. NSS volumes can be backed up this way.

Joe