Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
iofhua
Lurker
Liked: never

mandatory third-party spam? Really?

Post by iofhua »

"By subscribing I agree to receive product news and updates from Veeam and Veeam partners"

Why is this mandatory to download the free agent?

Why is sharing my email address with third-parties mandatory? Even if I can later unsubscribe from the emails, the damage is done. The third parties have my email address, and they already know I'm interested in IT and can use that for promotional purposes.

What kind of supposedly reputable business uses these kinds of underhanded practices? You should be ashamed of this.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: mandatory third-party spam? Really?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for bringing that up. Let me check with the web team, because subscribing to anything not required for all free products.

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hi,
I got a final answer:
It is in return for not asking you to pay for a trial version, that we ask for your consent to allow us and our partners to send to you news and updates of other products and services that you may find of interest. We are sorry that you feel this is not acceptable to you, but this is common practice, and in the alternative, you always have the option to purchase the product, which allows you to opt out of receiving news and updates.
Best regards,
Hannes
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by jdrch » 1 person likes this post

iofhua wrote: Apr 23, 2019 12:13 pm "By subscribing I agree to receive product news and updates from Veeam and Veeam partners"

Why is this mandatory to download the free agent?

Why is sharing my email address with third-parties mandatory? Even if I can later unsubscribe from the emails, the damage is done. The third parties have my email address, and they already know I'm interested in IT and can use that for promotional purposes.

What kind of supposedly reputable business uses these kinds of underhanded practices? You should be ashamed of this.
I was disappointed when I saw that too, but then again Veeam Agent and B&R allow me to do for free what every other competing product out there would literally charge hundreds per year for (I know because I priced them out when I was setting up my 3-2-1 backup.) FWIW I think I signed up and haven't received a single spam message since.

The developers have to eat, too.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Even the paid-for products require this. One of my pet peeves is that Veeam wants licences assigned to company email addresses. Usually that is ok, we simply set up a forward from the client to ourselves in Exchange, but in a couple of cases they were set up by the clients before we came on the scene and emails from Veeam go to the CEO of the company, which is not cool, as they don't want to know anything IT related and they then have to forward those emails to us manually.

It also isn't cool when Veeam Sales call our clients directly, they then tell the client a special sale price that makes us look bad because we send a the client a bill which includes the Veeam licence cost (at the moment of purchase) plus a service contract where we look after their backups 24/7, monitor them daily, rotate drives, etc., so our bill price and the price Veeam Sales provides are different.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Short update: the checkbox is not required anymore (I just downloaded the free edition)