Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gshaw
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerrard Shaw

What's your Veeam setup?

Post by gshaw »

In trying to spec up a complete Veeam backup \ DR solution I've thought of so many different configurations \ hardware choices it's enough to make my head explode :lol: Was just wondering if those using Veeam in production at the moment could list how you've got your environment set up?

Choices seem to be...

- Physical or virtual server?
- Storage for Veeam files on local disk or on a CIFS share?
- Is Veeam backing up entirely iSCSI \ FC stores on VMFS or are there any hosted on NFS?
- Are you storing the Veeam files to tape as well as disk?
- Replication of Veeam backup files yes \ no (if yes, how?)

The issue I have is that I want to keep a long-term archive (i.e. greater than 14-30 days) and also have backups on a secondary medium away from disk. Only thing that means is if I backup to a NAS I'll have to shovel the data back across the network to stream it to tape, which doesn't seem ideal.

I guess the solution I want is a physical server, files stored locally then a tape drive hanging off that... would be perfect but for the NFS backup performance and the fact I can't find a quiet server to keep in our office!

We're on a single site and there's no other room for server kit apart from the main server room and our office. I feel uncomfortable with backups being in the same physical location as the servers so somehow need to isolate it to another area.
Alexey D.

Re: What's your Veeam setup?

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Gerrard,

I did some research on questions you've posted and there are numerous existing topics covering them. Hope this information will be helpful for you:
Vm or physical server?
Best practice setup for Veeam
Veeam Backup to Datadomain NFS share
Best Practice for Data Domain and Falconstor FDS
Best Practice for putting Veeam Backups on Tape?
Does veeam offer anyway to replicate backup sets?
gshaw
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerrard Shaw

Re: What's your Veeam setup?

Post by gshaw »

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the links, think some of those have come up on my travels through searches so just wanted to see a few examples of real-life configs to get a feel for what's being used in live environments at the moment :)