Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
smarshall
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shawn Marshall

Feature Request - Recovery Media option to add drivers

Post by smarshall » 1 person likes this post

My goal is to maintain as few recovery media USB keys as possible. We standardized on a handful of desktops and laptops with a few different drivers. I would like to maintain 2 Recovery keys one each for 32bit and 64bit. If there were an option added the Recovery Media creation tool in the case of a USB key to add drivers to an existing key this would help. I have tried to do this manually by creating a key for each version of hardware then combing on one key but it is a hassle.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Recovery Media option to add drivers

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Shawn,

You can load the needed drivers to the recovery media (via regular Windows explorer copy) and use Load driver option after you booted from RE (Tools > Load Driver option).
jbunting
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Bunting

Post by jbunting »

It would be nice to "Include the following additional storage and network hardware drivers:" option when creating the Recovery Media from within the Backup & Replication Console. Currently you only have this option when creating recovery media from the endpoint itself. We have many endpoints scattered across multiple sites that require different drivers.

The plan for a system down will be a bare metal restore, so the drivers will most likely change anyways... hence the need to include additional drivers at the time of media creation from the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback, noted!
controlfreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Control

Post by controlfreak »

I want this too! Currently, media created from the Backup and Replication server does not contain the the PERC drivers used on the agent server. An option to manually load additional drivers onto the ISO, or load detected drivers on the system and add those would be very useful.

What are the steps to add drivers to the ISO using windows explorer? I can mount the ISO, but it seems to be read-only. Is this for USB recovery media only?

Thanks,

Control
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Control,

There is a hack: create Recovery Media without these drivers (for example on a USB stick) and then load the desired drivers to the folder on this USB stick. Once RE is booted you go to Tools > Load Drivers and select the path where these drivers are stored.
controlfreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Control

Post by controlfreak »

Great, thank you Dima P.