Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Calculating VM Change Rate

Post by wa15 »

Evaluating S3 Capacity Tier and trying to calculate how much delta we would upload on a monthly GFS backup copy job. The very first offload is going to be a full 10TB VBK as an example. After that, to get an idea of the change rate, would it make sense to add up the size of every single forward incremental (VIBs) for that month? Or would it be sufficient to simply add up the VBK file size increments for the month (if we do a synthetic full a week)? I noticed the size of two varies greatly.

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Calculating VM Change Rate

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it's always just a rule of thumb, but the easiest was is to take the ReFS option in the restore point simulator.

Best regards,
Hannes
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello Hannes,

We want to take some of our retention to Capacity Tier (Azure Blob or S3-compatible) so we have plenty of existing data on all restore points.

To estimate the cloud-costs of these known amounts, is that as simple as using the Azure / AWS / S3-compatible vendor's calculator? Are API costs negligible to the point of being a rounding error?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, as a rule of thumb this is definitely not so.

Overall, API costs vary from significant to zero depending on the object storage provider. Some providers charge for API calls, while others don't. Those who do charge, typically also have significant API price difference depending on the storage tier (hot/cold). For example, I've seen one situation when savings on storage costs of a colder tier were completely overshoot by increased API costs, so this does require careful planning. While you won't go bankrupt, it's going to be far from a "rounding error".

Bottom line: it's not that simple and straight-forward task with providers who do charge for API calls, and it's actually been a significant barrier to cloud object storage adoption - practically #1 concern I've been hearing from our customers. Which is exactly why companies like Backblaze and Wasabi (who don't charge for API calls) are getting so much interest from our users these days. Their flat per-GB pricing structure is just so much easier to plan around.
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin »

and it's actually been a significant barrier to cloud object storage adoption - practically #1 concern I've been hearing from our customers.
Any plans (or capabilities) to deliver some general BP guidance for VBR specifically on this? Management always wants to hear "can you give me a cost estimate" and there isn't always time to P-O-C.

Maybe something simplified like a Gartner-style Cartesian map of "These operations will tend to generate higher API costs, these will generally generate lower API costs (or lower-as-a-percentage of data charges).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

https://vse.veeambp.com/ has it already (I recommend involving your local Veeam SE).

I also recommend checking out the object storage section in the sticky FAQ topic the "what does it cost" question.