Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tschultze
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thorsten Schultze

Library using only 1 Drive after B&R 9.5.0.U4a-Update

Post by tschultze »

Hello folks,

I got a problem with my Tape-Backup since updating from B&R 9.5.0 U4 to U4a.
I got a 2 staged Backup-Path, first VMs in 2 jobs to Disk , then copy the disk-jobs parallel to 2 Tape-Drives.
This work for 3 Month fine.
After Update U4>U4a the Library only uses 1 Drive, the other is present but not used.
The are no cleaning issues. Firmware of the library is the newest. The second drive is still shown as part of the library.
The Media-Pool settings aren´t modified, still "Enable parallel processing for tape jobs using...." is enabled.

Ticket is running since 24/04/19 Case #03527273.
But from supporter there no reasonable ideas so far.

Got somebody any experience with a similar case.

Regards

Thorsten
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Library using only 1 Drive after B&R 9.5.0.U4a-Update

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thorsten,

I've asked QA folks to review you case details. We will update this thread once I hear back anything. Meanwhile please keep working with our support team as described behavior does not look expected. Cheers!
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost » 1 person likes this post

Hi Thorsten.

You need to enable checkbox 'Enable parallel processing of backup chains within a single job' in the media pool settings > Options step. There was a bug in U4: parallel processing was not working in case both checkboxes were checked, but it was fixed in latest U4a version.
tschultze
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thorsten Schultze

Post by tschultze »

Hello Konstantin, this didn´t work either. Now the content of my both Backup2Disk-Jobs is mixed on both Drives. Before U4a Job one gones tho Drive 1 und Jobs 2 goes to Drive2 and the content wasn´t mixed up. I did a workaround by defining 2 Backup2Tape Job with run straight after the Backup2Disk-Jobs.
Mail-PingPong with the Support over one week, was realy a time eater and no result was on horizon. I aborted the Case.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thorsten,

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear that support team was not helpful. We will keep investigating this problem and, as promised, I'll update the thread with the results of our findings. Cheers!
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Thorsten, it seems that your source backup jobs are targeted to per-vm repo and are backing up several VMs. You want each source job's backup to be copied to a separate tape in parallel. The only way to achieve this is to create two tape jobs (one per backup job), which you've done.