Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Moving agent jobs to secondary storage (tape)

Post by bdoe »

I have a number of agents running with a free license, backing up to VBR 9.5 U4a Enterprise repositories. All the agent jobs run through the week, but all end by 6pm and are not scheduled for the weekend.

I've been trying to move a number to tape. This job starts Friday at 7pm, when no agent jobs are scheduled until the following Monday. So far, each job has started, and may get the files for one or two systems done, but then the rest will hang with the following error:

4/13/2019 2:34:21 AM :: Backup files for full source job (computername$)Backup Job computername were changed, retry is required...

Then it just hangs there until I cancel the job.

I've tried configuring the tape job as both jobs and repositories (under Backups in the job settings), which didn't make a difference. It's set to not back up incremental, and only the most recent chain. I considered file to tape but it seems that'd be difficult to maintain. Am I missing something?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving agent jobs to secondary storage (tape)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the error message means that the backups are not finished at the time of start of the tape job. Could it be that you configured synthetic fulls for the agents and the synthetic full processing did not finish yet?

Best regards,
Hannes
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Most of the agents are still version 2.2, synthetic full didn't show up until 3, right? Either way, all the jobs are definitely finishing long before the tape job starts, at least VBR is not showing them running at that time.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Bryan,

You can get this message when tape job detects new restore points from the source job. Can you please check agent job schedule and compare it with tape job schedule? Thanks!
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Yes, all agent jobs are finishing by 4:30 pm, and do not run at all on weekends. The tape job starts at 5:30pm on Friday. None of the agents are doing anything while the tape job is active.