Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Add AWS S3 as an external repository

Post by fafa24 »

Hello,

My question is related to Update 4 which I installed yesterday. Today I wanted to add AWS S3 as an external repository. I went through the wizard. The first two screen went fine. Account was verified. At scrren 3 (account) it shows correctly the Data Center region, I can select my available bucket(s), I need to select a folder. I click the browse button, and there is my problem I have no choice for a folder.

I created in the S3 management Console for my bucket a folder. In the permission screen, ACL, "Your AWS account" has all column with YES.

Any idea why the folder is not showm in the Veeam console?

Thanks
Edy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Add AWS S3 as an external repository

Post by Gostev »

Hello Edy, can you please clarify what are you trying to do?

This particular functionality is designed for importing an Amazon S3 bucket that contains Veeam backups created by other solutions like Veeam N2WS CPM. This is why it is called "external" (not managed by B&R). Do you have such a bucket?

Thanks!
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Oh I see!!

I was trying to add AWS as a repostory so that I can send backup to a bucket.

Thanks
Edy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

For that, please use Add Backup Repository > Object storage.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks - just created a new repository for S3. It worked. The wizard looks the same, but here I can add a new folder in the bucket. Cool!

Cheers
Edy
BenPang
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Pang

[MERGED] Can't select object storage repository

Post by BenPang »

Support case ID 03360525
Hello,

My question is related to Update 4 which I installed yesterday.Today I have add AWS S3 and Aliyun OSS as an backup repository successfully and I plan to backup a VM to them. But I can't select them as storage when I create a backup job as screenshot show. Any idea for this situation?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ail9jZORI0MViBuQGyKtPazV4dZn
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ail9jZORI0MViBrQY8G2jqNMNIQv

Thank you.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Thanks for the question. :)

I haven't figured out yet how I can use the AWS repository. I decided to wait until the manual for Update 4 is available. I guess very soon...

Cheers
Edy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Object storage can be used for Capacity Tier of scale-out backup repository only, you cannot use it as a regular backup repository. This should be explained on the dashboard where you pick your storage type when creating a backup repository... I hope I didn't forget to write it there, definitely was going to!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: CAN'T SELECT A BACKUP REPOSITORY

Post by Dima P. »

BenPag wrote:My question is related to Update 4 which I installed yesterday.Today I have add AWS S3 and Aliyun OSS as an backup repository successfully and I plan to backup a VM to them. But I can't select them as storage when I create a backup job as screenshot show. Any idea for this situation?
Hello and welcome to the community BenPang,

Object storage based repository cannot be selected as a target for your primary backup job, you can only use it for the Capacity Tier of a scale-out backup repository.

Thanks!
BenPang
Novice

Re: Can't select object storage repository

Post by BenPang »

Noted.So if I want to backup my vm to AWS S3 or Aliyun OSS, How can I do?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You cannot back up directly to object storage, it can be used only as an extension (Capacity Tier) to Scale-Out Backup Repository. Existing backups will be offloaded there, once the fall out of the specified operation restore window. Thanks!
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

[MERGED] Setup external repository AWS

Post by powersjo »

I am having an issue setting up an external repository to my AWS cloud. Once I get to 'Bucket" I cannot select a Folder. There are no folders available even though I have created one in AWS for my bucket. In fact, no folders are viewable at all for any of my existing buckets. I have tried 4 different regions as well.

I tried rebooting the server and set the folder to public but no luck. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
BenPang
Novice

Post by BenPang »

Do you mean that I can backup my VM to OSS as secondary destinations and I can also restore my vm from them? If yes, I don't know wht I can't choose select the Configure secondary destinations for this job check box as the screenshot show.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do you mean that I can backup my VM to OSS as secondary destinations and I can also restore my vm from them? If yes, I don't know wht I can't choose select the Configure secondary destinations for this job check box as the screenshot show.
No, I meant something different - you cannot back up VM directly to object storage. It needs to land Scale-Out Backup Reposity first. Then, it needs to stay there for the defined amount of time (the operational restore window specified by you). Once it falls out of the set period of time, it gets offloaded to object storage.

More information can be found here. Kindly, take a look.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I tried rebooting the server and set the folder to public but no luck. Any thoughts?
Can you shed some light on what you're trying to achieve? If you want to make use of new Capacity tier, then, leverage the approach mentioned above. Thanks!
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Post by powersjo »

I am having an issue setting up an external repository to my AWS cloud. Once I get to 'Bucket" I cannot select a Folder. There are no folders available even though I have created one in AWS for my bucket. In fact, no folders are viewable at all for any of my existing buckets. I have tried 4 different regions as well.

[UPDATE]
Gostev wrote: Jan 17, 2019 6:27 pm For that, please use Add Backup Repository > Object storage.
^^^This was the answer to my question.^^^
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Good to know. Indeed, external repository is a different feature implemented with the different use case in mind (to discover, recover or offload locally backup data produced by Cloud Protection Manager). Thanks!
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil »

too bad we need a enterprice vbr license to use scale out repository.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Indeed - but it was the case since scale-out backup repository was first introduced a few years ago, so no changes in product licensing here.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In fact, you no longer need "free VBR limited Enterprise Plus license plus" with Update 4 (this was merely a workaround due to VBR, VAW and VAL licensed being product-specific). As of Update 4, when you purchase agents, you will get an Instance license of Enterprise Plus edition that is good for any product - and just install your backup server with one.
robg
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob

Post by robg »

v.eremin wrote: Jan 23, 2019 11:54 am No, I meant something different - you cannot back up VM directly to object storage. It needs to land Scale-Out Backup Reposity first. Then, it needs to stay there for the defined amount of time (the operational restore window specified by you). Once it falls out of the set period of time, it gets offloaded to object storage.

More information can be found here. Kindly, take a look.

Thanks!
How about for backup copy, can S3 be used as a repository for that?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Backup copy can't land directly on S3 either. It needs to land on another repository first, which would be configured as an extent within SOBR, just as for a primary backup job.

Joe
robg
Expert

Post by robg »

I see, are you an employee of Veeam? Why don't you guys make it so that backup copy does work with S3 directly? Some of us have very simple setups and will never have a need for such complexities like scale-out backups, we just want a backup copy sent to the cloud, as cheaply as possible.

$0.023 per GB per month is very appealing to me. Hah.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

You could always spin up a Windows or Linux VM as an EC2 instance, add EBS storage, and add that as a repository into VBR. Then make a SOBR only containing that instance and enable Capacity Tier. This way the copy job goes directly to the cloud, and then weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly backups would be created and moved to S3.

Joe
robg
Expert

Post by robg » 1 person likes this post

Unneeded complexity and cost. The S3 is just a storage place for files, why can't Veeam write to it directly for backup copies? Consider it a feature request..
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale »

feature request! thanks.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

robg wrote: Apr 29, 2019 10:09 pm Unneeded complexity and cost. The S3 is just a storage place for files, why can't Veeam write to it directly for backup copies? Consider it a feature request..
It's the perpetual reason Veeam has; incremental chains == what your chain looks like today may not be what it looks like tomorrow, and since the data on S3 can't be transformed, you need a data file which is "finalized", for lack of a better term. Normal transforms (meant to reduce data over network) just don't work on S3 storages, as best our shop could tell.

What you really want is a simple path to S3, and you don't need Veeam for that. Just fire up your preferred S3 provider's client and drag/drop a full backup file. It will be inconsistent, out of date, and Veeam unaware, but it will do what you need.