Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blackdog
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John W Brown

Feature Request - Tail Log Backup and Ad-hoc Backups

Post by Blackdog »

Hi all,

It was suggested by your support team that I post a Feature Request on this forum, regarding Case# 02957971.

We often have situations where we would like the ability to do a tail log backup and/or an ad-hoc full, or transaction log backup between the times of our normally scheduled full and transaction log backups.
Reading your forums, it appears there are a number of situations that arise that would be mitigated by this feature.
Because this has been discussed heavily in your forum, I'm not going to launch into another long explanation of why we need it.
I already discussed the matter with your support team (Case# 02957971), and they noted the workarounds we could use.
Given that this ability is clearly needed by us and multiple other users (although for whatever reason I don't see multiple feature requests for it), please implement this functionality.
I realize you get a lot of requests, but running a backup at a specific time is one of the most basic requests we encounter as DBA's.
Veaam Backup & Replication is a great product. We love it. And are expanding our use of it.
Adding what seems to us to be a very fundamental function would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Bill Brown
Texas Tech University
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Tail Log Backup and Ad-hoc Backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Bill, your request is clear, thanks for the feedback!
deubelm
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] sql server tail log backup

Post by deubelm »

Hi all,
is it possible to do with veeam b&r a tail log backup for SQL Server transactions logs? It is an essential function to do a point in time recovery.

Regards
Marcus Deubel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: sql server tail log backup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If I got it right, you need to take a look at this User Guide page. Is that what you're after?

Thanks
deubelm
Influencer

Re: sql server tail log backup

Post by deubelm »

Hi, not really. In this artice of Microsoft it is described what I need and mean https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/sql/re ... erver-2017 . It is an essential function to do an point in time recovery to 1 sec. before the crash. I havn't found any hints that veeam is capable to do so. Which would mean I have definitly data loss if backing up SQL Server databases with veeam.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

It is an essential function to do an point in time recovery to 1 sec. before the crash.
Ok, now it is more clear, thank you for the article and for your feature request.

Thanks
deubelm
Influencer

Post by deubelm »

Any news on this subject? If Veeam isn't able to implement this, we have to drop Veeam B&R because Veeam B&R is not designed for mission critical servers and databases.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Unfortunately, there are no news on the subject. By the way, do you expect this feature to be able to detect that the database is not healthy and back up the log automatically, or a manual mode ("backup tail-log" button) will suffice?

Thanks!
deubelm
Influencer

Post by deubelm »

Hi P.Tide,
no, the feature need not to detect the healthiness of the database. Just a "backup tail-log" button is essential.

Regards