Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported even though ive excluded the disk

Post by FTL »

Hi,

In the Community Edition when i try and backup a VM on a HyperV host that has one of its disks (not the OS) hosted on a SAN it throws the erorr:

29/04/2019 15:17:59 :: Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported

I have gone into the job and told it to only include Disk 0:0 only but it still throws the same error:

Can you not backup VM's with pass through disks at all with Comm Edition?
I thought reading the blurbs it auto ignores any pass through disks?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported even though ive excluded the disk

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what I can say is that it has nothing to do with community edition. I would also say, that we should ignore pass-through disks. So I can only suggest to open a case and please post the case number here for reference.

As a workaround: a pass-through disk is like a physical machine. So using an agent would be the way to backup that machine.

Best regards,
Hannes
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Re: Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported even though ive excluded the disk

Post by FTL »

Hi HannesK,

Is this is the solution to backup content on a pass through disk inside a VM - to add the agent and add it to the console as a Windows Server?

I have 1 file server and 4 SQL vm's - all with pass through disks for their data - the OS lives int he vhdx file so I can back up the VM - but to be able to backup the data from the SAN LUN's id need to install the agent on each VM and do a Copy Job?

Im using Comm Edition at the minute but am looking to use Backup Essentials full licenced product if i can get it all working how i require before splashing the ££

I have sent a ticket in: #03537044

Many Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I have 1 file server and 4 SQL vm's - all with pass through disks for their data - the OS lives int he vhdx file so I can back up the VM - but to be able to backup the data from the SAN LUN's id need to install the agent on each VM
correct - or migrate to the virtual world :-)
and do a Copy Job
always a good idea, but is not directly tied to physical / virtual backup

As an alternative, you could also use the trial version, which has full functionality. Community edition only has standard edition functionality. See comparison

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the answer is simple: Hyper-V does not support snapshotting of VMs with pass-through disks. I just tried to create a snapshot in Hyper-V manager and got this error message:

Code: Select all

[Content]
Checkpoint operation failed.

Production checkpoints cannot be created.

Cannot take checkpoint.

[Expanded Information]
Checkpoint operation for 'test-passthough' failed. (Virtual machine ID C9EFF2FD-D18D-42BD-9603-E3014C89B751)

Production checkpoints cannot be created for 'test-passthough'. (Virtual machine ID C9EFF2FD-D18D-42BD-9603-E3014C89B751)

Cannot take checkpoint for 'test-passthough' because one or more pass-through disks are attached. (Virtual machine ID C9EFF2FD-D18D-42BD-9603-E3014C89B751)
So that works on VMware, but not on Hyper-V

Solution: as mentioned above: use agents.

Best regards,
Hannes
riahc3
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John

Post by riahc3 »

HannesK wrote: Apr 30, 2019 12:49 pm correct - or migrate to the virtual world :-)

always a good idea, but is not directly tied to physical / virtual backup

As an alternative, you could also use the trial version, which has full functionality. Community edition only has standard edition functionality. See comparison

Could you be specific on what works on VMWare and what doesnt work on Hyper-V?

Also be specific "use agents". What agents? Where? Which? How to set it up?

Thank you. Im having a similar issue on both platforms.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for VMware: you can backup the virtual part of a VM. example: OS is virtual and additional disk is a pRDM. VMware allows snapshots of this kind of VMs
for Hyper-V: you cannot snapshot a VM that has path though disks. That means no backup software that requires snapshots can backup that kind of VMs

Agents: Veeam Agent for Windows or Veeam Agent for Linux. Please see user guide for more information. In general it is the same everyone did before virtualization. Just think about a physical server. It's the same.

Best regards,
Hannes
boomko
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Астемии Анатольевич Долов

Post by boomko »

Hello. I have the same problem. HyperV Virtual mashine. I installed agent for windows on that VM, but still job shows error. Maybe i need to customize settings of agent? Describe in more detail pls
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Do you mean you're trying to back up this VM using Veeam Agent for Windows and it shows the same error?
boomko
Novice
Full Name: Астемии Анатольевич Долов

Post by boomko »

No i tried to buckup by Veeam Backup and Replication Community edition. Then i understood that it need to be done by Veeam Agent for Windows. Now everything is ok
Freber
Novice

[MERGED] Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported

Post by Freber »

Hi!

I get the error "Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported" when backing up a VM. The thins is I dont want to backup that disk at all, I just want to backup the VM and its system disk. Is that not possible?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Error: Processing VMs with pass-through disks is not supported

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The only way to do that is to leverage Veeam Agent Management. Veeam Agent performs backup directly from the server, therefore hypervisor limitations are no longer actual.

Thanks!
Freber
Novice

Post by Freber »

Sorry but I dont understand what "leverage Veeam Agent Management" means?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Feber,

This is explained in the aforementioned User Guide article. Such disks and VMs with such disks can be backed up by Veeam Agents and not by hypervisor backup capabilities.

Thanks
Freber
Novice

Post by Freber »

But I dont want to back them up!?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

I'm merging your topic with an existing one. Please, take a look.
Freber
Novice

Post by Freber »

Ok so my problem still exists. I want to backup a hyper-v VM that has one pass through disk in it but I DONT want to backup that disk, just the machine itself.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

This is not doable using VM backup due to the aforementioned limitations in Hyper-V. The two options are: do not use pass-through disks with Hyper-V or use Veeam Agents to back up the VM.

Thanks
Freber
Novice

Post by Freber »

Wow ok...
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

By the way, you have an option to create a backup of the specific volumes only if you choose "Volume level backup", please see more information on this page.

Thanks!
Freber
Novice

Post by Freber »

Yeah I tried to exclude the pass through volume there but it didnt help.