Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FMFB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Karim Khan

Changed IP ESXi Host Machine

Post by FMFB »

Hi,

I have some questions regarding Veeam Replication. We have a single host machine on our DR-Site installed with VMWare ESXi 4.0 with the following specs:

HP Proliant DL 385 G6
2 * Six Core AMD Opteron Processor(tm) 4231
32 GB Memory

Onsite we have two same HP machines, almost same specs , HA enabled , they are using SAN storage. We have a 1 MB fiber Link with our DR-Site. Now We want to replicate the VMs from our onsite host Machine to the DR-Site Host machine. Well with 1 MB link it is not possible to replicate a 500 GB VM to our DR-Site . So we planned to bring the DR host machine to our onsite datacenter, we changed the IP address of the DR-HOst machine and run complete replication of 483 GB VM to that DR-Host , it completed successfully. Now we Moved that Host to the DR site and it is reversed to its previous IP Settings. I have deleted the onsite created replication Job and recreated the replication job with changed IP address of the DR-Host Machine and tried to replicate the same VM but it failed to replicate:

The error I found by double clicking that recreated replication job was

File '[Logical Drive Raid 5] VeeamBackup/FINANCE PF(vm-4812)/FINANCE PF.vmx' already exists.

Can you please guide me how to tackle this issue as we have different IP subnet for our DR-Site?
Alexey D.

Re: Changed IP ESXi Host Machine

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Karim,

Since you've deleted the old job and created a new one, B&R will not be able to pick up existing files and continue replication.

For customers who is in trouble having slow WAN link and needs to replicate over it, Veeam has a feature called "initial replica seed". With this functionality, it is possible to perform initial job run to a removable media, bring that media to remote site and then continue with lightweight incremental passes.

For information on how to use this feature, please refer to this topic: Replicate over WAN
FMFB
Influencer

Post by FMFB »

I have deleted the old Job for only one VM. I have another VM replica whose old Job still exists with its actual target IP Address, how can I poceed with this old Job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Karim, if I got you correctly, all you have to do now is change destination for the existing replication job to point to the new host location.
FMFB
Influencer

Post by FMFB »

Hi,

when I only changed the destination IP for the existing replication job then I got the following message::

Veeam Backup and Replication
---------------------------
Please perform the following actions before clicking Next (press Ctrl-C if you want to copy this message):
1. Unregister affected replica VMs from the original ESX host '192.168.84.44'.
2. Move all affected replica VM subfolders from '192.168.84.44:[Logical Drive Raid 5] VeeamBackup' to '192.168.1.50:[Logical Drive Raid 5] VeeamBackup'.
3. Register affected replica VMs on the new ESX host '192.168.1.50'.

OK

Here you can see initial destination IP was 192.168.84.44 and latter when I moved the same host to the DR-Site, the destination IP has to be 192.168.1.50.

After changing the Destination IP,When I started the replication for 42 GB of windows 2003 server VM , then the job seems that it has started. I waited for almost 2 hours to finish the job but still the status in Veeam Console was 0 kB/s. Well after initial complete replication, on second attempt it must complete the replication more quickly.

Then I decided to delete the old replication job and created the new one, the result I have already discussed with you.