Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ccrichard
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

Can Veeam Optimize and check SQL Integrity?

Post by ccrichard »

Can Veeam Optimize and check SQL Integrity during SQL Server Backups?
If not, I guess I just need to do this in a pre-script.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can Veeam Optimize and check SQL Integrity?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Richard,

Could you please clarify what optimization are you referring to? We've got application-aware image processing and SureBackup capabilities to verify VMs' backups, have you been able to look through our F.A.Q. topic?

Thanks.
ccrichard
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

Post by ccrichard »

By optimize database and Database integrity check I mean for the SQL Server being backed up.
SQL Server Management studio can be scheduled to perform database integrity checks and database optimization as well as backing up the databases.

I've read that it's a good idea /best practice to perform an integrity check before the backup and then a optimization after.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, got it.

You can use VMware Tools quiescence with pre-freeze scripts to do that, however I would definitely recommend using "Application-aware image processing" option to backup all Microsoft-based VMs, especially SQL Servers.

As regards integration checks and optimization then you can schedule these within the guest being backed up.

For more info on "Application-aware image processing" please take a look at our F.A.Q.

Thanks.