Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gibsond4136
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale Gibson

Change block tracking

Post by gibsond4136 »

If we did our initial replication of the VMs with them being VM version 4, does it have to do a full replication again if we upgrade them to VM version 7?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Change block tracking

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dale,

You need to upgrade your VMs to hardware version 7 first and then perform another regular (non CBT enabled) incremental run to get a ChangeID for VMs. This ChangeID will be further used in incremental job runs.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I am not 100% sure if CBT can be enable by incremental run... I think it might require full run... need to ask devs or QC.
cby
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by cby »

We had a bunch of VMs in a single backup job but one VM was not backed up with CBT. I found with an upgrade to VM 7 I had to set up a new backup job for that particular VM with the advanced configuration parameters on the VM itself set to 'ctkEnabled false' (on the VM and the relevant disks). When run with the same parameters using the existing backup job I get the following error for that one VM:

Verifying changed block tracking... Disk "Hard disk 2" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. One or more VM disks have incorrect changed block tracking configuration. To resolve this, open VMware vSphere Client, right-click the VM, choose Edit Settings, Options tab, select General, click Configuration Parameters, and set all entries with ‘ctkEnabled’ substring to false. Veeam Backup will then automatically re-enable changed block tracking with the correct settings during the next job run.

Once I've run the new job ctkEnabled is automatically set to true in the configuration parameters on the VM. I can then go back and run the old job for all VMs and CBT is observed throughout.

Maybe the same principle applies to replication.
Nikolaj7
Novice
Full Name: Nikolaj Tuxen Gerstrøm

Veeam B+R and VM version 4/7

Post by Nikolaj7 »

[merged into existing discussion]

Hi,

We have just bought and installed Veeam B+R 5.02.

We have several VM's both VM version 4 and 7.

VMware environment is vSphere 4.1.

There is a big file server at VM version 4 which takes long time to backup.

Next weekend we will upgrade it to VM version 7 so it can take advantage of Changed Block Tracking.

My question is, can we just do another normal scheduled backup after the upgrade which will enable CBT for this particular file server or do we need to initiate another new full backup of the file server virtual machine?

Thanks.

Regards,
Nikolaj7
Nikolaj7
Novice

Post by Nikolaj7 »

Status is that we have backed up several VM's with version 4 and version 7 in the same Veeam backup job.

So will this procedure work:
1. Upgrade VMware Tools and VM hardware to version 7 according to VMware guidelines
2. Set ctkEnabled to false on each upgraded VM as per above post
3. Keep the upgraded VM's in the same Veeam backup job as before (CBT enabled)
4. Run the backup again and it will enable CBT on the VM's and backup the VM's than previously ran on VM version 4 virtual hardware

Thanks.
Nikolaj7
Novice

Post by Nikolaj7 »

One follow up question:

In point 4 above should I run a full backup to get changeID's generated or does Veeam already have this registered for the VM version 4 machines?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nikolaj, ChangeID is only available for VMs with hardware version 7. As far as I remember CBT can be enabled with incremental backup job run too.
Nikolaj7
Novice

Post by Nikolaj7 »

Thanks for your reply.

Any comments to the procedure I outlined above?
(I guess that it is not necessary to set ctkEnabled to false??)
Nikolaj7 wrote:Status is that we have backed up several VM's with version 4 and version 7 in the same Veeam backup job.

So will this procedure work:
1. Upgrade VMware Tools and VM hardware to version 7 according to VMware guidelines
2. Set ctkEnabled to false on each upgraded VM as per above post
3. Keep the upgraded VM's in the same Veeam backup job as before (CBT enabled)
4. Run the backup again and it will enable CBT on the VM's and backup the VM's than previously ran on VM version 4 virtual hardware

Thanks.
Do I risk to run into this error:
cby wrote:
Verifying changed block tracking... Disk "Hard disk 2" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. One or more VM disks have incorrect changed block tracking configuration. To resolve this, open VMware vSphere Client, right-click the VM, choose Edit Settings, Options tab, select General, click Configuration Parameters, and set all entries with ‘ctkEnabled’ substring to false. Veeam Backup will then automatically re-enable changed block tracking with the correct settings during the next job run.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'm not sure you should run into this problem because "ctkEnabled" should already be set to false after the upgrade.
a.fokkema
Influencer
Full Name: Arne Fokkema

Post by a.fokkema »

Check also the Independent mode configuration on the hard disk. This is also a show stopper for CBT. See my blog post for more information: http://ict-freak.nl/2011/06/24/disk-har ... iguration/