Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
AaronKCollege
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Smith

Can the Recovery Media See an External USB Drive?

Post by AaronKCollege »

I have been using the Veeam Agent for Linux to backup a number of virtual linux systems and recently tried doing a bare metal restore using the Recovery Media CD. Now, there is a VM that mounts an external USB drive (using VMware USB Passthru) and then shares that via SMB for the rest of the systems. A disaster recovery situation would mean I need to restore that particular VM first so it can provide the backups to everything else. However, if I boot a fresh VM system up, with that USB drive attached to it, and go into Restore Volumes -> Mount Local disk nothing shows up. If drop into the command line, the logs show that it sees it, and it's set up as /dev/sdb, and I can even mount it, but the "mount local disk" screen continues to be blank. What am I missing here?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Can the Recovery Media See an External USB Drive?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just for curiosity: what is the reason to backup virtual Linux machines with the agent? Usually the way to go is normal VM backup and in a disaster situation you just click on "restore VM(s)"

Best regards,
Hannes
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

To assist you with an answer, I would suggest contacting support for insight on this. As it sees the disk, you should be able to access it (maybe via the shell) and leverage it. It could be underneath we may lack something to fully support this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
AaronKCollege
Novice

Post by AaronKCollege »

HannesK wrote: Apr 30, 2019 12:54 pm Hello,
just for curiosity: what is the reason to backup virtual Linux machines with the agent? Usually the way to go is normal VM backup and in a disaster situation you just click on "restore VM(s)"

Best regards,
Hannes
The ESXi server is using the Free hypervisor license so Veeam can't do VM backups.
AaronKCollege
Novice

Post by AaronKCollege »

nielsengelen wrote: Apr 30, 2019 2:18 pm To assist you with an answer, I would suggest contacting support for insight on this. As it sees the disk, you should be able to access it (maybe via the shell) and leverage it. It could be underneath we may lack something to fully support this.
I ended up figuring it out on my own. I had to drop down to the command line, mount the drive manually, and then import the backup using "veeamconfig backup import --path <path to backup.vbm file>"