Business categorization for your virtual environment
gillagorilla
Novice
Liked: never

Uncategorized VM Folder Path

Post by gillagorilla »

We have our VM folders in vC arranged so that each folder directly off of the root is essentially a tenant.
The paths are vcenter\datacenter\tenant1directory

I am trying to create a business view that mirrors this organization so that when I run reports for something like oversized VMs, we can easily see those for each tenant.

Ive made a new category in business view under Virtual Machines. This category has a bunch of groups underneath of it where the grouping conditions are "VM Folder Path contains vcenter>datacenter>tenantdirectory". I wanted to use VM Folder Path rather than Virtual Machine Folder because there are any number of child directories under the tenant directory and i didn't want to have to constantly manually reconcile those.

As a sanity check check, I also made another category that does nothing more than just use the grouping expression VM Folder Path.

My issues is that in both of these cases, I inexplicably end up with a bunch of VMs in uncategorized. I can see how that could absolutely happen in the first category where I am the one defining each group. But i don't understand how/why it would be happening in the second scenario
gillagorilla
Novice

Re: Uncategorized VM Folder Path

Post by gillagorilla »

Forgot to mention, we are using Version 9.5.4.4566
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome to the community!
As a sanity check check, I also made another category that does nothing more than just use the grouping expression VM Folder Path.
Have you created the category via Grouping expression?
Did you also try "Single parameter" categorization method and then "Virtual Machine folder" property?
Thanks!
gillagorilla
Novice

Post by gillagorilla »

Correct, Ive made a category using a grouping expression where the expression is just "VMFolderPath". I have tried that also with the grouping expression "VMFolder". It looks like when i used the grouping expression for VMfolder, it automatically reverts it back to a single parameter group for the "Virtual machine folder" property.

The issue is that with either one of these, I end up with a bunch of VMs grouped as "uncategorized". This is whats throwing me for a loop becasue we dont have any VMs that live outside of a VM folder or anything that lives directly under the datacenter object in VC. The other issue i have with using the VM folder is that I'm only looking to group by the first level directories so grouping by every vm folder is not ideal.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

It looks like when i used the grouping expression for VMfolder, it automatically reverts it back to a single parameter group for the "Virtual machine folder" property.
That's by design since grouping expression "VMFolder" equals a single parameter group for the "Virtual machine folder" property.
As for the uncategorized VMs, it worth contacting the support team. I've checked in my lab and all VMs became categorized by VM folder as expected.
Thanks!
gillagorilla
Novice

Post by gillagorilla »

Thanks for responding. Ill open a support case
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Once you do, please provide the support case number here for us to follow the investigation.
Thanks!