Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

VeeamZip options

Post by lando_uk »

Using v9.

When I do a VeeamZip on one of my VMs, it doesn't give me the option of choosing which proxy to use. So when I have 2 or more vdisks, sometimes one of them gets processed by a remote proxy that has slower network connectivity, so my VM data goes over the WAN and back again for no reason, the whole zip would run much faster if it was using a local proxy.

The interface really needs a new option to choose proxy, like on backup and restore jobs.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: VeeamZip options

Post by PTide »

Hi,

In v9.5 we've added the proxy affinity technology which is probably another way to achieve what you want. As a workaround for v9 you might want to create a one-time backup job for the VM.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Another option is to ensure there's a hotadd proxy available for this VM, since the behavior you're describing indicates NBD transport mode is used.
mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

[MERGED] manual proxy selection for VeeamZIP

Post by mma »

Hello veeam

Can you please add manual proxy selection for VeeamZIP jobs?

We have a setup with 1 physical proxy and 5 virtual proxies, all of them in different networks.
I need to save a VM from an "isolated" ESX Hosts. The only proxy which has access to it (becauseof firewall rules) is the physical one. None of the proxies is in the same IP range as the ESX host, so the proxy selection is some sort of nontransparent.
The Veeam proxy selection algorithm selects one of the virtual proxies as there is no direct SAN access to the datastore of this host - no backup possible.

Thanks
mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Post by mma »

Proxy affinity will not help:
- All proxies write to the same repository
- Does not work at all if I do VeeamZIP to a folder
Ollo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Proxyselection VeeamZIP

Post by Ollo »

Hello,
we are using Veeam with storage integration. When we like to zip a VM with VeeamZIP, Veeam decided always to use the hardwareproxy and ALWAYS try to make an storage snapshot.
I couldn't find an option to choose a proxy when using VeeamZIP. If the option is not presented, thats a must have feature.

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

What's wrong with storage snapshot? VeeamZIP can take a while since it's a full backup, so storage snapshot will help you avoid those typical large snapshot commit issues.
Ollo
Enthusiast

Post by Ollo »

Storage Snapshot needs an license an IBM SVC for a maximum concurrent use.
And a snapshot binds a lot of ressources on the svc.
The backup admin should decide which backup method has to be used.
Ollo
Enthusiast

Post by Ollo »

Next problem we have is, that not all proxies as the same rights in the dmz. Veeam always desided to choose the "wrong" proxy.
So please implemented a manual proxy selection and a manuel selection, if a storage snapshot will be taken or not.
welshp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Youngs

[MERGED] VeeamZIP / Transport Mode

Post by welshp »

Hi, does anyone know if there is an ability to choose the transport mode for VeeamZIP please?

With the current deployment, VeeamZIP is running from a Powershell script within a VM backing up VM's on the same host. Assuming it is defaulting to Hot-Add, it is generating loads of Windows Event ID 225 warning (The application ....explorer.exe with PID... stopped the removal or ejection of device....) It is also raising alerts in vROPS for violating the Security Configuration Guide using Non persistent independent disks.

I have tried backing up a VM hosted on a different vCenter (via enhanced linked mode) which I guess is using network mode and I do not see these event log warning or vROPS alerts.

Cheers,
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Paul,

Please check this thread for some considerations.

Thanks!
welshp
Lurker
Full Name: Paul Youngs

Post by welshp »

Hi @PTide, thanks - I had already read that discussion before posting but there was no indication of a manual choice for transport mode.

Cheers
mortenmadsen
Novice
Full Name: Morten Madsen

[MERGED] feature request: veeamzip select proxy

Post by mortenmadsen »

We use VBR on a lot of our locations and are expanding all the time.

On a weekly basis we do veeamzip before deleting a vm. We have a large repository in our main office so we store our veeamzips there. But when doing a veeamzip we cannot select a proxy, so normally a proxy across the WAN is selected by VBR so we transfer 2x times the amount of data needed as we normally see a 2:1 reduction on these veeamzips.

It would also be nice if it was possible to see in the GUI when a veeamzip backup expires.

Kind regards
Morten Madsen
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Morten,

I've merged your post to the existing discussion! I've noted you vote for this feature request as well. Cheers!
darecki
Influencer
Full Name: Darek Margas

[MERGED] Any hope for -Proxy option for VeeamZIP?

Post by darecki »

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if there is a hope to have choice which proxy process VeeamZIP job spooled from script?

That would be useful. We use proxy per location and letting it decide makes traffic traverse via VPNs. So far we disable all except in correct location and then run backup but this way we are unable to backup multiple locations at the same time.

Cheers,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
although your request for a PowerShell parameter is more specific, I merged it to the existing discussion because a Powershell parameter will only happen if it is available in the software in general.

Workarounds like proxy-affinity are mentioned above.

Best regards,
Hannes