Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
netwiztech
Novice
Liked: never

Backing up OES 2018 VM on Hyper-V host

Post by netwiztech »

I am looking at potentially using Veeam Backup and Replication to backup our OES2018 servers that will be running on a Windows Hyper-V host. I have a lab set up with this configuration and cannot seem to figure out how to do a file level restore of the data on the NSS volumes. I have seen in the documentation that there is supposed to be a check box to indicate that I am restoring NSS volume data, but I never see that option. (documentation I have gone through seems to be for OES servers running on VMWare). Is the option for backing up and restoring data on NSS volumes only available on VMWare hosts or am I missing something?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up OES 2018 VM on Hyper-V host

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, you are correct. File-level restore from VMs with NSS file system is supported only in VMware environments.

Best regards,
Hannes
netwiztech
Novice

Post by netwiztech »

Thanks for the response.
Any idea if it will ever be available on Hyper-V?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

honestly no idea... as Hyper-V and OES in combination are nothing we see to be "trending" or a "hot thing"

I mean, what you can always do is Instant recovery / Universal restore...
netwiztech
Novice

Post by netwiztech »

I did try the instant recovery, but the NSS volume did not mount when I had created it.
I used the following when creating the instant recovery: https://www.veeam.com/kb1459
If I allowed the recovery to overwrite the existing VM, it would mount the NSS volume.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

I've seen where during IVMR SLES will detect the NIC as a new NIC because it gets a new MAC address, at least in VMware environments. The solution there is to change how NICs get their naming by going into YaST and making NIC naming be done by udev rules. Otherwise if the NIC shows up as a new NIC, then eDir doesn't start, so NSS won't start.

BTW, I pm'ed you. Please shoot me an e-mail at joe dot marton at veeam dot com as I'd like to get some more details about your OES/Hyper-V environment.

Joe