Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ChrisFIT
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris

Can't set up Application-aware

Post by ChrisFIT »

Hi everyone,

We are still quite new to Veeam and working towards setting it up as we require.

I am using B&R 9.5 Update 4 Community Edition on Hyper-V server 2016, with an Exchange VM and a Domain Controller VM. I have set up a backup infrastructure with the Managed Server and Proxy being the server itself, and the Backup Repository is the local G: drive.

I can successfully perform the Veeam backup of the Exchange VM (for example) and restore it, using mainly default settings when I create the backup job, and without Application-aware Processing enabled. The backup job only has a single VM in it (the Exchange VM).

However, when I select Enable Application-aware Processing it fails to create the backup job.

-> How should I correctly set up Application-aware Processing?

I have checked that Power Shell 2.0 is installed according to other posts in the forum. Other than that I couldn’t find anything that I think may cause the failure in the forum or by google. So I suppose I am doing something simple which is wrong in the set up….

Thanks for your help!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Can't set up Application-aware

Post by PTide »

Hi,
However, when I select Enable Application-aware Processing it fails to create the backup job.
Please clarify at which step does it fail exactly, and what messages does it show?

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chris,

Also, you can take a look on this article about AAP in the User Guide. Thanks!
ChrisFIT
Influencer

Post by ChrisFIT » 1 person likes this post

Thanks both of you,

I'll check the details and post an update if I'm still having problems. Right now the test server is being moved so I'm not sure when it'll be back up...
ChrisFIT
Influencer

Post by ChrisFIT »

Thank you again.

I got back on the server today and checked the settings against the article you mentioned.

Now here are the settings which cause it to fail (it works fine if application-aware processing is NOT selected).

For the Exchange VM, at Guest Processing stage:
- Ticked Enable application-aware processing; Applications, Edit, General > Require successful processing, Process transaction logs with this job. Other tabs left at default.
- Not ticked Enable guest file system indexing.
- Guest OS credentials, selected the same account as for the backup job.
- Test Now, results are "Failed"
"Tick in green circle" Finding VM reference on host FIT-EXCH-2016
"Tick in green circle" VM reference ad308e00-f9bb-42bc-865b-4782e33b0262
"Tick in green circle" Collecting guest OS info.
"Tick in green circle" VM is powered on.
"Tick in green circle" IP addresses: 10.10.10.22
"Tick in green circle" Guest OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (1607)
"Cross in red circle" Checking standard credentials
"Cross in red circle" Connecting to guest OS via RPC
"Cross in red circle" Testing admin share accessibility via RPC
"Cross in red circle" Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [10.10.10.22]. Account: [FIT-HYPER-V\Administrator].;Win32 error:The user name or password is incorrect.; Code: 1326;
"Cross in red circle" Connecting to guest OS via PowerShell Direct
"Cross in red circle" Testing admin share accessibility via PowerShell Direct
"Cross in red circle" Error code: 0x80131500;
"Cross in red circle" Failed to connect to guest VM: Unknown error 0x80131500. Cannot connect to VM [ad308e00-f9bb-42bc-865b-4782e33b0262] over PSDirect. Guest Login: [FIT-HYPER-V\Administrator].;
"Cross in red circle" Failed to invoke func [Connect]: Unknown error 0x80131500. Unknown error 0x80131500. Failed to execute PowerShell command: The credential is invalid.;
"Cross in red circle" COM error: Code: 0x80131500;

It appears to me that the failure is due to the credentials (user name or password) not being correct, but these are the same ones as used for the Managed Server and it works fine without application-aware processing selected - so I don't understand what is going wrong???

Any help appreciated :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Chris,

Can you connect to the administrative share of the affected machine with the same account from Veeam B&R server? Thanks!
ChrisFIT
Influencer

Post by ChrisFIT »

Thank you Dima,

Yes, no problem to connect to the VMs using the Administrator account.
I am using the Administrator account to log into the server, to log into Veeam, and I can connect to the VM's using the Administrator account too (the VMs have a different password though).

So I'm a bit puzzled... I have logged a case with support now.

Thanks again.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi ChrisFIT,

What is your domain name? I kind of believe that you are not connecting to the VM through the administrator account but that you are using the local administrator from the Hyper-V host...

Code: Select all

"Cross in red circle" Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [10.10.10.22]. Account: [FIT-HYPER-V\Administrator].;Win32 error:The user name or password is incorrect.; Code: 1326;
"Cross in red circle" Connecting to guest OS via PowerShell Direct
"Cross in red circle" Testing admin share accessibility via PowerShell Direct
"Cross in red circle" Error code: 0x80131500;
"Cross in red circle" Failed to connect to guest VM: Unknown error 0x80131500. Cannot connect to VM [ad308e00-f9bb-42bc-865b-4782e33b0262] over PSDirect. Guest Login: [FIT-HYPER-V\Administrator].;
"Cross in red circle" Failed to invoke func [Connect]: Unknown error 0x80131500. Unknown error 0x80131500. Failed to execute PowerShell command: The credential is invalid.;
"Cross in red circle" COM error: Code: 0x80131500;
What I can see here is the following:

You try to connect over the network (See administrative share part) with a FIT-HYPER-V\Administrator account. (Unless your domain is actually FIT-HYPER-V but I doubt it). It fails because it gives you an error on either the username or password
Then you try to connect (a failover) to PowerShell Direct but with the same credentials... Obviously, same issue.

What I think you did, is used the wrong username (you probably just typed administrator) instead of saying DOMAINNAME\ADMINISTRATOR

Could you check this?
ChrisFIT
Influencer

Post by ChrisFIT »

Hi, thanks Mike and all,

I logged a case with Veeam support and finally did a remote session with them. We found out there was a problem with the password for the Guest Credentials. When we changed the password to something different it worked. And strangely when we changed it back to the original one it still worked.... The Veeam engineer was also surprised and thought that maybe the password had got stuck in cache somewhere and that changing it and changing it back again resolved it.

Not sure about this but I thought you might all like to know!

Thanks again for all your help :-)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for letting us know. To be honest, it surprises me also. I have no idea how this can happen. It does remind me of an issue I used to had with my old smartphone. When the connection to my mail didn't work anymore, simply change it to a "wrong" password, let it fail, and add the correct one again. Fixed :-)