Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Basic Tape Question

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

I have several forward incremental jobs which are set to 30 restore points with no synthetic full or active full. I would like to initiate a weekly tape process in which I run the tape job say on Friday, then incrementally daily until the following Friday when I will eject that set of tapes and start a new week job. I can't find a way to do this with my current setup, a tape job targeted against my backup jobs copies ALL the incrementals to the tape on the first run. I am fairly new (again) to tape and having a hard time conceptualizing how I would get this accomplished?
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

Re: Basic Tape Question

Post by siyanor »

Hi chad,
I think you will have two options as below :
1-create a standard media pool, and on tape job create a virtual full backup on Friday and incremental on other days.
2- you can use GFS medial pool and have daily,weekly,monthly and yearly medial pool , but remember a tape can not belong to two different pool at the same time.
for more information you can refer to below link:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Regards,
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 »

I must be missing the option to initiate a full or synthetic full within the tape job? I don't see a way to control what is actually getting written to the tape other than pointing it to a job and then checking a box to archive incrementals.
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

Post by siyanor » 1 person likes this post

You just need to right click on your tape job (standard pool if you are using), in media pool section ,click on Schedule button and you can choose days for which you need create a virtual full backup .
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 » 1 person likes this post

OK, found that portion. Easy peasy...now for another issue...I have the job setup with the fulls and it ran a synthetic full on the first run, but I unchecked "archive incrementals to tape" because when I ran it with the box checked the first time it took ALL the incrementals to tape instead of just the ones following the new full. I don't want to copy the entire backup chain as it sits to tape, I simply want to start on Day 1 with a full to tape, then follow it with 6 incrementals to tape and then on the 8th day I want to change the tapes and start over. If I check the box to archive incrementals to tape, it takes all 14 restore points to tape on day 1. If I don't check the box, it does a new full to tape on day 1 as it should, and on day 2 it does nothing to tape. How do I accomplish this?
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 »

I got this I believe. I was missing the checkbox in the advanced settings that allows the tape to only process the latest chain. That made all the difference.