Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Effect on Backup Copy jobs in cloud

Post by backupquestions »

Scenario: I've got a local backup job for VMs and also a local job containing physical servers going to an NTFS volume on my physical veeam server. I've got windows dedupe enabled on this as well as "dedupe friendly" with Veeam and the file level restore browser is very slow to open likely due to this. (server is new with good hardware, lots of SAS disks in raid10).

I want to reformat this volume to ReFS with 64k block size per Veeam recommendations. Then I will take a brand new active full and start over from there.

Question is.... I have 2 veeam cloud connect jobs that take the physical servers and VMs respectively to the cloud repo.

If I do all this destruction of the volume and new active full of everything locally, will the cloud jobs be rendered unusable? Or will they be smart enough to compare against the fresh active full locally and then just do changes? Will the changes likely be huge? Or not really as in reality it should only be the difference between the last incremental backup of the servers before the new active full?

My main issue is wanting to get rid of the windows dedupe as it makes everything so slow but I can't remove it as it locks Veeam files during rehydration job and then backups can't work.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Effect on Backup Copy jobs in cloud

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a backup copy job is designed to work with no full / synthetic full / active full. It processes the changed backup data blocks. As long as the backup data is the same, it will work without full re-transmission.

As far as I can follow your description, you are good to go.

Best regards,
Hannes