Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Why do tape backup jobs have incorrect progress?

Post by Mgamerz »

Maybe incorrect progress is not the correct word here, but as far as I am aware Veeam can only write files to tape - it can't backup directly to tape from a source (e.g. snapshot to tape, it must first go to a on-disk backup file, which is then copied to tape).

With this mindset, is there a reason why the progress bar for tape backups cannot be accurately measured?

For example I have a tape backup going here. It is writing the latest full of all of my backups to tape. All but one task, with a rather large VM, is completed.

It has been sitting at 99% for several days even though it has been writing the entire time. Prior to this VM starting, progress was fairly consistent (perhaps not perfectly linear, but close enough to think the progress bar was semi accurate). It seems when it gets near the end it stops being accurate and gets near Backup-Exec levels of progress bar reliability.

As a programmer I am not sure I understand how Veeam could not know what the amount of data to write would be,since as far as I am aware, it is just writing the backup files to tape, and the files can determined in length beforehand. Sure there are things that could affect the *time remaining* (if there was one), but the amount of data to write, the amount of uncompressed written, and the amount compressed written could be determined.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Why do tape backup jobs have incorrect progress?

Post by nielsengelen »

I would suggest contacting support if it looks stuck. It might be something causing this (logs could give insight).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen