Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
AlexanderDonov
Expert
Liked: never

Monitoring non-VMware hosts

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Hi there,

Veeam Monitor looks like the perfect solution for monitoring my ESX hosts. Is there any way to get it to monitor non VMware hardware?

It would be really nice If I could monitor the entire VMware environment (Including the switches and NetApp), not just the hosts and VMs. (After all, I loose my NetApp, and I won't care what the status of my VMs are)

I don't need detailed monitoring, simple graph and threshold alert on specific SNMP queries would be perfect.

It would allow me to use only one solution, instead of multiple.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, we are looking to add storage monitoring capabilities with the next release.

What do you mean by "switches monitoring" - do you know how those can be monitored?
Can you give some examples of automated monitoring approaches for switches?

Thanks!
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Switches normally have have an SNMP interface, and can be monitored with any general-purpose monitoring package.

With the storage monitoring, will you be monitoring the disk space (Via Storage Pools in vCentre) or will you have the ability to monitor the filer head as well?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

No, we do not plan to monitor actual filer heads. Just storage space, errors like bus resets and such.
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Ahh.. O.K.

Filer heads (At least NetApps) can be monitored the same way as switches (via SNMP). It can be quite useful to monitor CPU load, NFS OPS/sec, Cache size, etc

If you have a wish list for the next version, this is definitely on mine. Would be nice to do end-to-end monitoring of my VMware environment with a single tool.

Thanks!