Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sagelike
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Glenn Taylor

Quick Migration fails, ESXi disk drops

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

I'm having tough problem with Quick Migration of large Windows server with a second drive, i.e. C drive (75GB) and D drive (2TB). The C drive is successfully migrated based on amount of data migrated which equals C drive size but then fails when it begins migrating D drive. I get this error.

Code: Select all

2/9/2019 1:15:22 PM :: Copying VM files Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[WD2-6GB] idisk/idisk_2.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [10.10.10.100];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=2];Snapshot mor: [2-snapshot-1];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to replicate content of the disk [harddiskdevice://<harddisk path="\\.\PhysicalDrive4" isAsyncRwModeEnabled="True" />] into target disk: [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="10.10.10.100"  
The drive I was attempting to migrate is then dropped from ESXi Storage. When I try to add the drive back, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.10.223" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report:  Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details: Failed to check for existing file system on device '/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.5000cca271c71306:1'.
The exact same thing happened on previous attempt using VMWare Converter.

Anyone know what what is causing this problem and how to prevent it so I can successfully complete the Mirgration?

Thanks
G
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Quick Migration fails, ESXi disk drops

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Glenn and welcome to the community!

Please contact the support team and share the case ID here, since this is an error related topic (according to the forum's rules). Thanks!
sagelike
Influencer
Full Name: Glenn Taylor

Post by sagelike »

For some reason, I can't submit support request. I've filled out the form and Next button doesn't do anything. this is my first support request.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

strange, can you please check with another browser?
richkovach
Novice

Post by richkovach »

Hi,
I was curious if you ever got an answer to your issue.