Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Ocassional job failures

Post by Daveyd »

I have a job that is backing up 20 VMs with 7 rollbacks.

On ocassion, the job and its 3 retrys will fail. On EVERY VM I get the following eror message: Constructing rollback file name TextToTar failed Client error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process Failed to create or open file [\\xxx.xx.x.xxx\Veeam\Enterprise VM backups\Enterprise VM Backups.vbk]. Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [veeamfs:0:8ae0ec7e-d592-4680-a04c-f3cc4522794c (vm-3766)\summary.xml@\\xxx.xx.x.xxx\Veeam\Enterprise VM backups\Enterprise VM Backups.vbkVBK: 'veeamfs:0:8ae0ec7e-d592-4680-a04c-f3cc4522794c (vm-3766)\summary.xml@\\xxx.xx.x.xxx\Veeam\Enterprise VM backups\Enterprise VM Backups.vbk'RBK: ''].

Is that saying that something else is using the .vbk file while Veeam is trying to backup each VM? Or is is something else? This error doesn't happen every day
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Ocassional job failures

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dave,

Yes, it seems like some other application is locking the vbk file, which prevents Veeam from accessing it and updating the data. Provided that this doesn't happen every time you run the backup job, I would suggest checking for any antivirus software or other applications (tape integration software) on the target machine, this might shed some light on your issue.

Thank you!
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

I have my Veeam backups pointed to a CIFS share that resides on an Exagrid dedupe appliance. There is no AV on the Exagrid appliance that would be scanning the CIFS share. The CIFS share that contains the Veeam backup files gets backed up to tape once a week via Backup Exec but that runs at opposite times as the Veeam backups. I'll have to do some digging.
ricardom
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: RicardoM

Post by ricardom »

Daveyd wrote:I have my Veeam backups pointed to a CIFS share that resides on an Exagrid dedupe appliance. There is no AV on the Exagrid appliance that would be scanning the CIFS share. The CIFS share that contains the Veeam backup files gets backed up to tape once a week via Backup Exec but that runs at opposite times as the Veeam backups. I'll have to do some digging.
@Daveyd Did you ever find a solution to the error? I'm experiencing the the same error.
cindermonkey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott

Post by cindermonkey »

Listen, if anyone runs into this error on an Exagrid, it is because one of your shares does not have an IP (or more than one) of your Veeam Backup Server or a Transport Proxy or Proxies. Make sure go through your shares and double check that you did not miss one. Also don't forget about that registry scrip in the online library and that you will need to merge it even on the transport proxies (easy to forget after deploying the proxies from the veeam backup server).